R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTV RECEPTION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV RECEPTION
    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 8:21am
My tv reception is poor.. I have a 2016 with the fixed antenna. I don't think it can be adjusted. The picture breaks up, and scanning doesn't seem to help. The camper has been sitting for a while in the drive. Does anybody know how to pick up clear channels??? Oh, the little red light is on!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 8:51am
The good thing about the bat-wing antenna is that one does not have to mess with it as it is fixed. The bad thing is that reception is a problem. One person (I don't recall who) said that "reception is equally bad in all directions." I have repeated it, but don't claim the original.

Check all your connections to make sure they are tight. A lot depends on your location and distance to transmitter towers. If you are in a fringe area, you may not get much, if any reception. We have been places where we have had none (southeastern Arizona). At home, we get some channels with good reception and some where the picture becomes pixilated if there is any weather. Digital signals can provide HD TV, but since most of them use the UHF band which requires more power than the old analog VHS signals, reception can be a problem. It would help if you could get the antenna higher since UHF is more line of sight. Since you can't do that, you are essentially stuck with what reception you can get.

One thing is that if you have moved your R-Pod, you will need to re-scan for channels. Each location requires another re-scan since the stations in one area are not the same as those in a different area. That may help if you have not done so already.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 9:10am
I've replaced the "stock" antenna amp with the one below on the pod and our larger TT.  It works much better.  Direct plug and play replacement.  Is it as good as a outdoor antenna mounted on a house no but it's better than stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RFL-332-SensarPro-Signal-Strength/dp/B007AORLC4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517670536&sr=8-1&keywords=winegard+sensar+pro
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 10:47am
I looked at that. But is that just a signal strength meter, or does it actually increase quality. Still looking for a viable solution or alternative.
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 2:03pm
Its actually an amplifier.  It addition to the digital readout it gives a signal strength and an audible tone/beeps that help aim the antenna.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 3:24pm
Larry-D,

It appears to be a power supply and a signal strength meter. The older Pods have fixed antennas and the purpose of the installed adapter is to supply voltage to the amp. Not sure how this serves as an amp. I did read the Amazon advertisement.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 3:51pm
Forgot about the fixed antenna.  Had a TT with one of those, never did pick up well.  On our larger TT with a batwing antenna it did help substantially.  On the pod it help some but not as well as with the batwing.

FWIW I did try a directional antenna on a 14' push-up tripod in comparison with the batwing with poor results.
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 4:02pm
What is TT? So it looks like you're saying the batwing system I have is good as it gets?
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 4:17pm
TT is Travel Trailer, the fixed antennas are notorious for poor reception. I get 23 channels in my driveway, on the camp it's a crap shoot.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 4:20pm
I would replace it with the same one that comes on the newer pods now. The king HD antennae. I have it, and I get really good reception. It can swivel as well. Incase you wern't aware of it.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>