R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTV RECEPTION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV RECEPTION
    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 4:30pm
You mean newer than that batwing on my 2016? The King HD..? How much? Can I do it myself? How easy?
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 4:34pm
Major improvement, I agree. Personally I didn't by a RV to watch TV, though, many have as evidence of the big trailers no one comes outside.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 4:51pm
The problem with the older 179s is that the location of the antenna is such that there is no access to the antenna base to rotate it if it is replaced unless it is also relocated, leaving one with a hole in the roof to patch.

I had thought of changing the antenna and modifying the wall to make an opening through which the base could be reached to rotate a King antenna, but we really don't watch enough to make it worthwhile.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 4:54pm
+1 - Excellent point.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 6:30pm
I guess we are minimalist.  We took our TV out.  I kept bumping my head on it and we rarely go where there is shore power available anyway.  (Cancelled cable at home, too.)  And, we cut back on gvw by at least 15#.  

If there is Verizon service, we can watch movies or listen to music on our computer or phone.  I got a bluetooth speaker for about $30 and it works pretty well.  And if there's no cell service, well, then we just talk, read, and enjoy the quiet.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 8:03pm
Since I run Linux, I have used tools such as OGMRip to extract DVDs to files that I can take with me and play on either a computer or tablet. That way, we can watch a movie if there is no power or reception and we don't need cellular or wifi service either. Most of the time though, we read if we don't have power or reception.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 10:56am
Originally posted by StephenH

The problem with the older 179s is that the location of the antenna is such that there is no access to the antenna base to rotate it if it is replaced unless it is also relocated, leaving one with a hole in the roof to patch.I had thought of changing the antenna and modifying the wall to make an opening through which the base could be reached to rotate a King antenna, but we really don't watch enough to make it worthwhile.

I'm working on a way to put a King Jack on our 179 and bring the rotation control and signal meter into the front of the wardrobe on our 179. It involves a couple of lengths of 1/2" PVC pipe as drive shafts with 3D-printed end caps and a 90-degree gearbox. I plan to have one shaft come down from the antenna and through a hole in the top of the wardrobe, where it will go into the gearbox. The second shaft will go from the gearbox to a panel I'll mount at the front of the wardrobe, where I'll mount the antenna's control unit.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 11:18am
Originally posted by TheBum

I'm working on a way to put a King Jack on our 179 and bring the rotation control and signal meter into the front of the wardrobe on our 179. It involves a couple of lengths of 1/2" PVC pipe as drive shafts with 3D-printed end caps and a 90-degree gearbox. I plan to have one shaft come down from the antenna and through a hole in the top of the wardrobe, where it will go into the gearbox. The second shaft will go from the gearbox to a panel I'll mount at the front of the wardrobe, where I'll mount the antenna's control unit.

I am definitely interested in seeing the results. Do you have your own 3D printer? Is the gearbox in your design also 3D printed?
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Originally posted by TheBum

I am definitely interested in seeing the results. Do you have your own 3D printer? Is the gearbox in your design also 3D printed?

Yes, I have a cheap 3D printer (M3D Micro+). The end caps are of my own design and printed with my printer; I got the gearbox design from Thingiverse.com and had a friend print it (before I had my printer). I'm not 100% confident that the gears he printed will hold up; I may re-print them in a stronger material or, if worse comes to worst, order them printed by Shapeways. I have the end caps keyed so I can cut a slot in the PVC to prevent rotation within the cap.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 7:08pm
I just checked out the M3D Micro+.  I'm impressed. I'm looking forward to finding out how well the antenna mod works.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12