R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtire pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: tire pressure
    Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 9:48am
Have a new 171 and need to know what tire pressure to use. Took it on the road yesterday and saw a lot of sidewall flex. Trailer is not loaded except with two propane tanks. Tire pressures as received from dealer, 40 to 42. Is this OK or not? 
F150/R-pod171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 10:37am

You should always pressurize to the max indicated on the tire's sidewall, on the 'pod and on your tow vehicle.  On mine that is 50 psi on the 'pod and 51 psi on the TV.  Tires have their max load rating at their max pressure rating - assuming the wheel its mounted on can handle that pressure.

I have a checklist I use before each trip.  Stuff to pack, things to turn off around the house, things to check on the TV and 'pod.  Checking lug nut torque and tire pressure on the 'pod is one item on that list.  So far I've had little to no adjustment necessary on the 'pod but other trailers and campers I've owned needed something every time.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 11:31am
Thanks so much! Thought I had read that on the forum previously, but could not find it. Will air them up to 50 ASAP, as that is the max listed on the tires.
F150/R-pod171
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 1:05pm
Here is what Goodyear has to say:

How much air should I put in my tires?

Proper inflation is the single most important part of tire care. The inflation pressure on the side of the tire is the MAXIMUM operating pressure. It is not necessarily the right inflation for your vehicle. Always use the inflation recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. You can find it in your owner's manual, posted on the edge of the driver's door, on a door post or on the inside of the glovebox door. Always check inflation when tires are COLD: when the vehicle has been driven less than a mile or one hour or more after driving. Use a good quality tire gauge. Note: It's natural for radial tires to have a slight bulge in the sidewall at their proper inflation pressure. Check or adjust inflation every few weeks, before any long trip or if traveling with a heavy load. And don't forget to check the spare. Your Goodyear retailer can answer any questions you may have about tire inflation.

RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
 Post Reply Post Reply