R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooking at an RPOD...new owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at an RPOD...new owner
    Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 5:37pm
I am thinking of buying an R-POD...was all set on it when I started reading some real negative issues on another forum from those who had some major problems.  Could this be isolated, or are you guys just overcoming issues with the RPOD's.  Please let me know as we are looking to purchase soon.  Appreciate any comments.
Marlene & David
Adventure is our game!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 5:57pm

Welcome to the forum!

The straight scoop - It's possible to get a "bad one" of anybody's brand of RV. Personally, I think the Pod can go "toe to toe" with anything in it's class. Most have few or no problems however, they don't tend to yell as loud. It is important to buy from a dealer who will give good warranty service, if issues are encountered.

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 6:02pm
We have had our pod since 2011, and the only issues have been normal maintenance and one repair I caused the first time out when I backed into a tree.  I can't speak for others but I know some of the complaints I have seen are caused by unrealistic expectations and some by poor dealers that didn't prepare the units well before delivery.  I would buy another in a heartbeat, but I have no need to.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 6:12pm
We are the folks that own them, I'm not a fan of other forums that don't. If you buy a RV you have to be prepared to overcome issues. Suggest you also see reviews of those RVs. I have owned numerous RVs and believe me I always had issues I had to "overcome". Not a perfect world my friend. My Pod has been dependable, affordable and reliable. That doesn't mean I didn't have to maintain the trailer, I did. End of the day best RV I have owned, bang for the buck, across the board. My 2 cents.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 9:38pm
When looking at buying an RV's I hope your comparing  apples to apples and oranges to oranges? That your looking at similar single axle campers in comparable price ranges? If you do that I believe you'll see why the members of this forum are big Rpod fans. I don't care the make you can buy they all can have "issues" but from my experience the issues I've encountered with my Rpod have been negligible that I've easily been able to handle with no issues.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
mford4 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 9:40pm
Thank you for your responses.  We are hoping by this weekend to have one in our hands.  We have been looking for a good used one and have two lined up to see on Saturday.  Your responses have been reassuring.  Thank you.

Marlene

Marlene & David
Adventure is our game!
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 10:08pm
Another rpod owner since January 2011.  Excellent dealer, purchased in Escanaba, Michigan , the U.P.  Have to agree that the dealer can be a deal maker or breaker.  Haven't had any issues at all with our 177.  In fact a year and a half ago we had our first 'repair' as the tires, even though they only had about 20,000 miles on, were past their expiration date by over a year, so they were finally replaced.  This is our first travel trailer, having had Jayco and Rockwood pop-ups over that past 20 years, and had a fair amount of repair work to do on both of them.  Can't say enough about our R-Pod, a great unit IMHO.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 8:40am
As far as dealer, I bought used, so the negotiation was price, the warranty was 90 days. UNLESS I purchased an extended warranty which I did not. The trailer was basically brand new, and they did have some paperwork that indicated warranty work had been done by original owners.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 10:49am
My general rule of thumb on the Internet: Take the number of people reporting major issues and multiply by 10 to get the number of people with minor or no issues.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 11:02am
Always keep in mind.. for some owners..
"I found a loose screw/dropped screw in this closed compartment, the Pod is crap"
and for others...
"Another trip, the roof didn't blow off and I was dry in the rain, the Pod is fantastic".

The truth is, you ARE buying the, or nearly the, (I don't keep up with the clones pricing) least expensive, fully featured, TT in it's class. If you expect Airstream, Lance, Arctic Fox, Oliver, etc quality for R-Pod money, you WILL be disappointed.

Most pods are trouble free. Ours was. I have been active in the community since '09, when we saw our first Pod. On here since the day after we bought our Pod. That said, yes just like anything, Pods can have problems, both construction and actual issues, and they can have user issues.. just like anything else, Even Rolls Royce has a warranty department..

I for one, would be interested to know which sites you see these bad reviews on..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>