R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: My adding inverter plans - Pls review and comment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy adding inverter plans - Pls review and comment - Event Date: 29 Mar 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: My adding inverter plans - Pls review and comment
    Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 3:39pm
12v is a half dead battery. 10.5v is battery that IS being damaged.
and it's not just draw down point.. The draw rate counts for a whole lot of potential damage also.
and then there is that old Peukert effect, that tells us that the FASTER you draw down a battery, the more resistance and heat is produced, both damaging the battery AND reducing it's actual, usable capacity.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 3:45pm
+1 to what furpod said. There are some differences, depending on whether the battery is wet, gel, or AGM. The wet can do initially higher current (usually), and some AGM batteries can be drawn down to ~~ 40% or so. But the voltage is not linear with respect to SOC (State of Charge), and the higher you draw from them, the more it will impact the life. IOW, you could draw at 500 milliamps, and get 110% of the watt-hours, or you can draw at 120 amps and only get 75% of the watt-hours. High amps=short life.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 4:22pm
The OP needs empirical data on this issue.  With many people the need is to try and learn from the results.  He is not likely to ham himself with his test, so at this point the discussion is moot.  
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 4:37pm
If cost is acceptable, ditch the lead-acid batteries and go with lithium iron phosphate batteries. Prices are not quite as astronomical as they used to be and LiFePo4 batteries can be drained deeper and faster than Pb-acid batteries without damaging them. That might make all the difference in whether this is a success or failure.

I am curious though to see if the OP can make it work. I have a couple of small inverters--nothing big enough to even think of running the microwave.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

The OP needs empirical data on this issue.  With many people the need is to try and learn from the results.  He is not likely to ham himself with his test, so at this point the discussion is moot.  

Well.. at the proposed draw rates, there is in fact a fair danger of fire.. but yeah, in the long run, many people have a need to do things.. me included.. Wink
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Blender Bob

Have new 2018 Rpod 178 with 2 deep cycle batteries (~150-180amps) and 120W solar charger. Goal is to dry camp and have 15min microwave per day, TV, and run my blender. (Nothing beats a frozen margarita after long day hiking in the sun!)  No A/C or 110 Hot water, converter usage.

I plan to added a Powerjack 12000W peak 3000W LF Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter. By opening Rpod 110 circuit breakers, I can control what pulls 110v power in the RV. With proper 12v cables, I plan to have the inverter in the front storage area and use a 20a to 30a plug and existing 30amp cable to bring inverter power to the R-pod external plug. Inverter is on only when needed and storage doors are open to allow air for cooling. Thoughts? Comments? Thanks!  

URL to Inverter:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RV7DWT/?coliid=I1J831L6YIO9L5&colid=NZFFQLHCHF5H&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Blender Bob,
Here is my experience with what you are doing. I Had a 2000w/3000w inverter that I ran in my truck , ,F250 diesel with two optima batteries, I used it on the back forty to build fences, corrals and a barn, Used it for a 13 amp worm drive saw and a 15 amp roto hammer. It would work for about an hour and then I would have to run my truck and then I could go all day. Generator would have made more sense.
I sold the truck and since I had it laying around I put it in the pod, I had 100w solar and 2 12volt batteries, Have since gone to 2 6-volt). The wife wanted to run a hair dryer (rarely), and I thought occasional use of the microwave, blender, tv and such would be nice. It worked well for the small stuff but drained the two 12 volts really fast with the microwave or Hair dryer (1875w) I took it out  I ended up getting a 3000w inverter generator, Which we rarely use and is really quiet. 

IMHO you would really need 4 6-volt golf cart batteries and more than 200w of solar, to make this work the microwave and keep it charged up for an extended stay. It's not really worth it when you could just fire up a genny for a few minutes and get 'er done.
I do realize that new, or soon to be, battery/solar/equipment technology can make this feasible because there are some really cool things being done in really $$$$ all electric campervans and trailers. 
But i do understand the need to play with the idea!!!!
rgds John 

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by StephenH

If cost is acceptable, ditch the lead-acid batteries and go with lithium iron phosphate batteries. Prices are not quite as astronomical as they used to be and LiFePo4 batteries can be drained deeper and faster than Pb-acid batteries without damaging them. That might make all the difference in whether this is a success or failure.

I am curious though to see if the OP can make it work. I have a couple of small inverters--nothing big enough to even think of running the microwave.

Lithium Ion batteries are the way of the future in my mind and will change over as soon as I find the right dealer/manufacture to buy from. Currently find Littokala as being as described and well priced.
Still too expensive to go 'all the way'. Maybe during their November sale...

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by furpod

Well.. at the proposed draw rates, there is in fact a fair danger of fire.. but yeah, in the long run, many people have a need to do things.. me included.. Wink

I am sure the OP knows that the wiring from the battery to the inverter needs to be ap[ropriately fused to prevent the wires from burning.  If not he should forget the entire project.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 6:56pm

Originally posted by furpod

I am sure the OP knows that the wiring from the battery to the inverter needs to be ap[ropriately fused to prevent the wires from burning.  If not he should forget the entire project.

At those rates of discharge, the battery itself can "overheat". again, the higher the discharge rate, the higher the internal resistance of the battery itself. 
Blender Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 7:30pm
Thanks Voisj for your story and suggestions. In time, I believe more battery capability solves a lot of problems. And, managing demand is equally important. On the Colorado plateau, no hair dryer needed. With desert air, you can dry off from a shower with a bandana and your hair is dry before the first beer is gone. Cheers, B.Bob
Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
2018 178 R-pod Hood River Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>