R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFastway E2 and WDH setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fastway E2 and WDH setup
    Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 9:48am
For those that have the E2, how many washers are you using?  I have 6 and i think it is about right.  My front fender measurements are just above the undistributed measurement by about a 1/4"  I have what seems like decent tension on the trunnion bars.  I can get them in without the tool if i raise the jack pretty high.  I am just trying to figure out if i have this setup correctly.  The tow is good, no wiggle except our stupid gusty winds and passing semis are still enough to feel the push and pull.  But nothing extreme, just the shimmy.  I am guessing the only way to technically do this would be to weigh each axle?  any help appreciated.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 10:16am
The number of washers is going to be dependent on several factors; some of which are dependent on your TV. For example, we have two washers, but they're REALLY thick washers, and we have an F-150. The other is which holes you use to mount to the receiver.

The real proof in the pudding would be to weigh each of the axles (truck front, truck back, and trailer) connected and not connected. If you have the time and capability, you might also weigh each of the axles without the WDH connected. The ideal situation is getting most, but not necessarily all of the weight back onto your TV front axle.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 10:43am
based on the front axle measurements, i am there.  just trying to make sure i didn't Over do it.  since i have not lowered the front axle below unweighted, i think i am good.  my concern is that i may have done too much, but it feels right.  Even when i intentionally try to cause a bit of sway with the steering wheel, it doesn't feel squishy, but firm front and back.  I guess there is no cure for gusty winds though. 
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 11:01am

What you describe sounds good to me and very similar to my set up.
My front fender is returned to the "unloaded" measurement and the rear fender is about 3/4" below "unloaded". I can also get the bars on without the tool, if the tongue jack is raised high.

You'll still feel the "push" from semis but, it shouldn't induce sway in the trailer.

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 11:33am
It sounds like you're there, or at least close to it. Another thing you can do as sort of a sanity check is to park the entire rig on a flat surface (like a large parking lot, or wherever you can accommodate it), then step back 50 feet or more and "eyeball it". Both the R-pod and the TV should look close to level; no nose-high or tail-high on either vehicle. As travel trailers go, the R-pod should be pretty easy.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 2:43pm
i am so glad i put an electric jack on since i added the WDH.  That would be a LOT of turning.  BTW, how would you ever get the trunnion bars loose without a jack.  I guess you don't.  
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 2:47pm
I have 5 or 6 washers in mine: 2012 Toyota Highlander and 2016 179.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by texman

i am so glad i put an electric jack on since i added the WDH.  That would be a LOT of turning.  BTW, how would you ever get the trunnion bars loose without a jack.  I guess you don't.  

Use the snap-up lever to pry them off. However, that is less than ideal. Taking at least part of the pressure off with the jack is needed. I have a little slope to my driveway and sometimes I have to use the lever to pry one of them off when I park and unhitch with the trailer leveled since the truck still has a little tilt that puts pressure on the driver's side bar.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 3:14pm
The snap up lever is the same tool used to get them on correct?  seem like they would try and fly off with pressure on them.  But, as you said, with the jack raised most of the pressure is off.  i have been raising the jack to the point i can lift them off with my hands.  just seem like a lot of pressure on the jack, but i guess that is why it is a 3500# jack.  
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 8:41pm
Agreed. I would not want to snap them off without raising the jack. The lever is just for when raising the jack is not quite enough.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>