R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: My adding inverter plans - Pls review and comment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy adding inverter plans - Pls review and comment - Event Date: 29 Mar 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: My adding inverter plans - Pls review and comment
    Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 2:18pm
I'm glad it worked for you. Given my prior experience with the generator and the convection/microwave, I would not have expected it to work. I'm happy to admit I was a bit too skeptical. Congratulations!
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 3:04pm
The same quantity of Herradura Reposada tequila.  No ice needed.  Even better. ;--)

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
tjdmobile View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:00pm
Please forgive me if I missed anything in all of this how you connected these devices.  Are you running your inverter at the batteries and then running the power output from the inverter into the plug-in on the side of the Rpod?  If so, is there loss because the power converter is trying to charge the batteries with power from the Inverter?  

I have definitely been trying to figure out the best way to run (of all things) the Television while we are dry camping this year.  I have the Renogy 100 Suitcase solar panels which I am connecting directly to the battery.  I say battery, because while I got a pair of 12V Marine batteries from the dealer, I understand that I am better off not having them in parallel and running one at a time.  I have a 400W sine wave inverter.  It seems to use a lot of power from the battery.  I am hoping to be able to get enough juice this way to run things without having to ever turn on the 3000 W Inverter Generator we bought last year...except for running the oven or the AC.

Anyway, love thinking about dry camping with ability to use fan, TV and LED lights inside without using the generator and charging with my solar daily...
2018 R-Pod 179
2014 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew
Blender Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 9:12pm
Some additional information to clarify. I opened the 110vcircuit breaker on the converter to NOT charge batteries from 110V (that would just be a loop where the inverter will take 15% as overhead to the process)  Running two batteries one at a time does not make sense me IMHO: 1) you have to monitor and then change connections.  2) better to have run two batteries down to 75% than 1 to 50% and the charge back up.

A 400W inverter is not that big. probably can only run the TV, Radio, very small appliances.  My microwave pulls 680watts, so probably a no go with your inverter.  My inverter is 1200 watts - large enough for the microwave for about 17 min using both batteries down to 50%.  I run my refrig on propane when dry camping. It uses too much power for my battery solution.  

Putting a pencil to the demand on your battery.  Rough estimating:  1500 watts = ~ 15amp @120v, So 400watts is ~ 4amps @ 120v.  Convert to 12v, a factor ~10.  4 amps becomes 40amps @ 12V.  If each of your batteries are approx. 80Ahrs capacity, you probably have less than 1hr at 400watt load each -  after adding inverter overhead.  Doing an internet search on "Converting AC amps to 12V DC amp" yield a lot of help with the math to refine this calculation.  

Hope this helps. 
Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
2018 178 R-pod Hood River Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234