R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThanks Are Due!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanks Are Due!
    Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:16pm
I have to thank a number of Forum members for advice on a couple of topics-  Wheel bearing lubrication and jacks / jack points.

This afternoon I successfully used my new low profile "mini floor jack" to raise each of the 177's wheels enough to slowly and carefully pump in new bearing grease while rotating the wheel.

The jack point I selected was the steel mounting bracket for the axel and the small jack pad fit nearly perfectly  on and next to the mounting bolt.

The old grease looked ok but somewhat "flimsy", if you know what I mean, so new grease was most likely called for.  Pumping slowly and carefully so as not to traumatize the bearing seals I was able to exude a "collar" of old grease until I felt confident that the bearings were mostly renewed.

Our 177 has had very gentle use since we are both still employed and can only escape for a few days at a time a couple of times a year.  It has been over a year, however, due to employee problems and I was very concerned that sitting idle, (but wonderfully sheltered in our good friend's steel barn), would be as bad or worse than normal use.  

Now we and the pups are anxiously awaiting our departure to Suwannee River State Park in Live Oak, Florida for a few days of doing absolutely nothing!  (Except for walking the Cocker Spaniels, reading on our iPads, sipping some wine, charcoaling dinner, and watching the camp fire die....)

Does it get any better?
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:06pm

Congratulations! Glad you were able to get the bearings in order so that you can enjoy some "R and R".

Rpod Owners has, over the years, evolved into THE place to come for help and technical assistance. When someone asks for help around here, the most usual result is that they are MOBBED with helpful members.   

Also, the depth of knowledge and experience is unequalled - anywhere. IMHO there just might be one or two on here that know more about Rpods than the people that build them.

Again, enjoy your trip!

Post Reply Post Reply