R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTire Rotation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire Rotation
    Posted: 27 May 2018 at 9:27am
I am wondering if anyone has a tire rotation schedule?  I recently replaced all three tires with Goodyear Endurance D rated tires and after 3000 miles thought that I would set up a tire rotation plan including the spare.  I just ordered a matching aluminum wheel which I will swap out the steel spare.  Once mounted, I thought a rotation every 2000 to 3000 miles would improve tire life (and possibly safety) in the long run.

T@b 400 with solar
Formerly 2010 171
2013 Tundra TRD
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 12:14pm
I never did this due to the fact I would have to rotate a tire that runs clockwise to counter-clockwise.  On your vehicle you normally rotate front to rear but keep the rotation the same to increase tread wear.  We put 20,000 plus miles on our 177 and only replaced because according to the date of manufacture they were over 7 years old.  The tread however still looked great on both tires.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by jato

I never did this due to the fact I would have to rotate a tire that runs clockwise to counter-clockwise.  On your vehicle you normally rotate front to rear but keep the rotation the same to increase tread wear.  We put 20,000 plus miles on our 177 and only replaced because according to the date of manufacture they were over 7 years old.  The tread however still looked great on both tires.
The reverse rotation issue is really only valid with radial tires, and then only if they are "driven" wheels. What many do is rotate the driven wheels on a vehicle to the same-side undriven wheels. The undriven wheels can swap sides (and hence rotation). The issue is the belts under the tread can shift slightly after 5,000 miles or so, but only when they are driven (connected to a drive axle).

So there should really not be an issue rotating the wheels on an R-pod since none of them are driven. That said, most RV tires probably die from old age before they wear out. I don't see a real need for it unless there is some obvious wear issues.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 4:03pm
DenisP, If I had 3 matching tires and wheels I would rotate. There is no rotation scheme to trailer tires, but reading your post I agree with you. When I replaced my trailer tires I did not include spare. It's a good spare. Granted they are not drive wheels, but who cares, give them all a turn if they match. I agree you'll get more even tire wear and they will last longer when used. Go for it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
DenisP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 7:43pm
Thank you al for your thoughts.
T@b 400 with solar
Formerly 2010 171
2013 Tundra TRD
 Post Reply Post Reply