R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater on floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water on floor
    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:30pm
Hi, need the collective genius of this forum to help solve my current pod problem.  We drove through a heavy rain storm this past weekend in our 178 only to arrive at the campground and find water puddles covering the floor throughout the pod.  Needless to say, my heart sank when I saw the water covering the pod floor and now need to diagnose the problem.  

Here are the known parameters:
-The water pump was not on, and had been depressurized prior to departure.
-The Fresh water tank was 1/2 full, gray and black tanks empty.
-There was no water on the bed, counter, or dinette when we arrived.
-Water puddles were on the floor in the entry way, under the slide, under the bed, under the dinette and in all storage hatches on floor level.
-It was pouring rain, I mean really coming down with standing water on the highway so we drove slow.
-I wiped up the water as best I could with a couple towels after arriving and it continued to rain for the next 2 days.  We didn't see any water accumulation inside the pod during that time.  When we drove home it was only lightly raining and there was also no water accumulation inside.

At this point I am assuming that the water came up from the base of the pod but don't know how that would be possible.  Any ideas or other thoughts?  I love the pod size and maneuverability but have become so tired of continued problems at every outing (only 14 outings with 4 dealer visits for significant issues).  We have owned the pod for just over a year (2018 model) and have had multiple problems with water ingress (slide leak, rear spoiler leak which led to ceiling bubbles and an ongoing warranty debate with manufacturer).  Both slide leak and ceiling leak have been sealed recently by the dealer.  Please convince to keep the pod!  At the moment I think I got a lemon and need to move on to a different trailer.  How can a company expect a customer to deal with floor, ceiling, and slide leakage within 14 months of ownership?  What am I missing?  Thanks and cheers.
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:51pm
Total mystery - only thing I can think of doing is putting a bunch of bright lights inside the trailer then crawling around underneath to see if you can see any light. Might be best at dark. Don't think it'd be from the bathroom since the doorway transom is so high. 
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:50am
I would check my outside storage and access doors to make sure they are tight and sealed. It would only take one to let water on to floor. I had to adjust mine tighter after a wet trip, easy adjust.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
hialtitude View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:17am
Thanks for the suggestions. 

I know that the storage and access doors are tight and sealed, which I recently adjusted.  I did look at the seals when cleaning up the puddles in the storage hatches and all rubber gaskets were dry on the inside so that was not the culprit this time. 

I seriously suspect that water entered up through the seams between the floor and walls, thoughts?
Pete Brayton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:32am
I would check the slideout gaskets, the tail light seals, the area where your freshwater inlet is located, and the highpoint drains area. Could your water heater be leaking?
2021 Rpod 196
2013 Ford 150 V8
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:39am
Also, if the water pump was turned on, you might have a leaking water line. If your water tank level is significantly lower than when you started, this might be the problem. If not a water line, if it was pumping into one of the areas and the drain for that area (galley sink, bathroom sink, shower), then that could also be the source. However, I also agree that storage access could be a cause. Also, check around the AC for evidence that water could be coming in though there or around the fan vent, although that should be confined to the bath if that were the case.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DenisP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:23am
I don't know if my experience is applicable but it might be.
We purchased a 2010 171 last December.  The floor had a little softness but was frozen.  Once thawed out it was spongy.  Upon investigation by removing the linoleum, the entire floor was wet and the front area (dinette, in front of kitchen and bath to the front of bed) the subfloor was delaminated.  The flooring had held any water that had entered the Pod and where the greatest exposure occurred it held and damaged through both layers of the luan subfloor and styrofoam.  There were entry points throughout the Pod (hatch seals, shore power inlet, aging seals at the wall appliances and through points in the floor) but the most significant was the front seal where the roof attached to the floor.  Only three of the multiple screws attaching the trim were in contact with structure due to water intrusion, rot and short hardware.  Although the pod had little visible wear, the maintenance of the seals was not evident in addition it was difficult to determine how well it had come sealed from the factory.

The happy ending that after extensive work repairing and replacing portions of the subfloor and insulation, replacing 12" strip of luan in the front of the coach, Spray foam insulation replacing the soaked Fiberglass insulation and finishing the epoxy coated subfloor with waterproof vinyl planks and laminating a Front diamond plate rock guard, I have a camper that I love.  I am a newbie and have taken it out three times, the first being a 2700 mile nine day trek to the Great Smoky Mountains, and the 171 with several mods has worked out much better than my expectations.
T@b 400 with solar
Formerly 2010 171
2013 Tundra TRD
hialtitude View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 10:56am
Thanks again for the thought provoking ideas.

The water pump was not on when traveling so I know that wasn't the source of the water.  We also did not see any additional water once we were in a stationary spot over the weekend while using the water pump so I do not think it was a leak on a water line.  

I think the water found entry during the drive and primarily suspect the front seal between walls and floor or a bad seal on the slide.  

Is there any way for water to get in through the furnace or fridge vents?

Cheers.
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by hialtitude

The water pump was not on when traveling so I know that wasn't the source of the water.  We also did not see any additional water once we were in a stationary spot over the weekend while using the water pump so I do not think it was a leak on a water line.  

I think the water found entry during the drive and primarily suspect the front seal between walls and floor or a bad seal on the slide.  

Cheers.

I thought about the vents (especially when I was power-washing my Pod last week) but I think that the water would have to be shooting right at the vents in an almost upright direction to cause as much accumulation as you got.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by hialtitude

Cheers.

If you had a very high wind with heavy rain, I could see the potential for water to come in through the refrigerator vents. You also might want to check the sealant around the water heater inside the cover. Ours was not well sealed. If the slide-out is in and the seals are in good shape, then water should not get in through there. Check the seals though to make sure they are all there and in good shape.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>