R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed refrigerator help!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need refrigerator help!!
    Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 5:05pm
Hi,

I have a 2014 R-Pod 179, with a Dometic RM 8501 refrigerator installed.  Everything worked great up to about a week ago.  Something has failed on it and I can't get anything to power up (no lights inside, etc.).  There is power to the unit (both AC & DC).  

Doing some reading, it looks like there is a good chance the control board has failed.  I'm having a hard time finding a new one.  If I look at a parts diagram for the RM 8501, everything looks different than what I actually have installed!  I had someone tell me that Dometic is making an "all in one" board than installs behind the "eyebrow board" (buttons on the front of the fridge), and replaces the board on the back of the unit.  That doesn't make sense to me.  I don't think any of the wiring would be long enough to reach that location.  The same person also looked up the price of the proposed board and it was almost $500!

Here are my questions:

1)  Does anyone know if boards are repairable?  

2)  Does the proposed solution above make any sense?  

3)  Would I be better off just buying a new refrigerator?  

Any advice would be appreciated!

Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 9:39pm
We just went through the same thing. We purchased a used 179 that had apparently been in a beach location. The connections in the controll boards had all corroded . There are 3 control boards. The repair parts were going to be over $900 for the 3 circuit boards plus the installation costs. I talked to several dealers, did internet research looking for replacemnt boards and talked with 2 independent rv repair places.  I got pretty much the same info everywhere. Minor differences, but still pointed to total replacemnt rather than repair.
We opted to purchase a new refrigerator and the installed cost was $1100. 
I have the old refrigerator sitting in my shop. I watched it being taken apart to diagonose the problem, witnessed the problem and agreed that the boards were all corroded. So, I don’t think the dealer was trying to sell me something I didn’t need. I went with an exact replacement for the original Dometic. It is a 3 way refrigerator. In hindsight, I probably should have gotten a 2 way refrigerator as we never use the battery power . we always use propane unless it is pluged in at home on shore power. Even the 2 way units still need a battery for the circuit boards, but not for the actual refrigerator. 12 volt operation is not a good option. 
So, I can totally emphatize with you. I can only tell you my experiences. After we replaced the refrig, the new unit has operated fine.
As a side note- as I mentioned, I have the old refrig unit if anyone needs any replacemmt parts(except circuit boards)
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
FrayAdjacent View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 4:13am
Man, $1100 for a fridge? yowch. I'll be going to the beach SOMETIMES... I'll have to mind how salty it gets.

I'd really love to find a drop in 120V/12V compressor based fridge. There are nice chest style compressor fridges that are very energy efficient on 12V. I'd convert to a multiple battery setup and a larger solar panel array.  
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:57am
I was glad to find a used Envirocooler Free Piston Sterling Cooler at my local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. A number of them had been donated by a pharmaceutical company. They were used to transport pharmaceuticals (no biological or hazardous materials). It came with both a 12V cord and a 120V adapter and cord plus an insulated bag that fit inside. It is very energy efficient and keeps a temperature of about 4C even in temperatures up into the 90s. I would like this type of refrigeration to be available in a format like the RV refrigerator. I have seen some models that can cool to freezing temperatures in the chest type also. They are expensive though.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply