R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgreasing wheel bearings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: greasing wheel bearings
    Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 5:19pm
does anybody know how often you should repack wheel bearings? and the correct way to jack up the r.pod. is putting in grease through the grease fitings good enough? i'm so confused Ouch 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 5:26pm
Annually is the recommendation, but with the little bit of towing most trailers get every year I think that is too much.  Every couple of years should be fine.  As for jacking, FR doesn't want you to lift by the frame and the axle manufacturer doesn't want you to jack under the axle.  Still waiting on the levitation accessory.  In the mean time just get under the frame, maybe use a board to spread the load if you can.  Using the grease fittings may only get to the outer bearings so its best to open them up (get new seals first).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 5:53pm
I got into the habit of annually repacking the bearings on our old tent trailer, so I've continued on with the r-pod.  Including the time to pull out the tools, cleaner and grease and jacking up/down the trailer, it takes me two hours to do the job.  You'll also want to adjust your trailer brakes at the same time (unless you've got the newfangled self-adjusting brakes).

As techntrek said, you'll need new bearing seals (about $2) - the old ones must be destroyed to get them out.

Personally, after looking at the inside of the r-pod's hubs, I don't see that squeezing grease into that zirc fitting would do much good.  You'd have to fill the entire void with grease before it started pushing the old grease out the bearings.  Even then, I'd be worried about getting grease on the brakes.  But, on the other hand, the zirc fittings are there for a reason and others think that using them is perfectly legitimate.
medimike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 12:34am
Here is some info on axles. There is some maintenance suggestions but, you need to scroll thru the document. :-) Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply