R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpassing vehicles with the trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: passing vehicles with the trailer
    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 7:56pm
I have trouble judging when I can safely return to the slow lane after passing another, slower vehicle on the interstate. 

Recently, I was in a traffic slow-down, went into the 'fast' lane because of a temporary blockage but when I returned to the 'slow' lane a truck I thought I was safely in front of, but coming up fast, 'took umbrage' and blasted me with his horn. 

(Don't get me started on the deterioration I've seen in the quality of semi drivers. Some of them shouldn't be allowed on the road.))

Any tips/suggestions/comments on how to judge passing distance are appreciated.
seafans View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 9:16pm
Generally if you can see the vehicle in back of you in your mirrors its safe to move over.  The way people drive today like they are all on a race track you might have to be quick.  Some trucks will blink there head lights to signal its safe to move over but not every time.  I try to do that for most and they do seam to appreciate it. I've had better luck with semi trucks than Dodge Ram trucks.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 12:40am
You shouldn't be trying to do sudden lane changes with a trailer in tow in the first place. You need to give semi drivers a lot of slack. They can be in the neighborhood of 88,000 lbs, and they can't do anything "suddenly". I'm not saying you were in the wrong, but I wouldn't be too quick to judge a semi driver either.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 6:51am

Seafans - Thank you.

GlueGuy wrote - "... I wouldn't too quick to judge a semi driver either."

I don't want this string highjacked. The issue of the lamentable decline in quality of the drivers of these 88,000 pound trucks and the unnecessary deaths of innocent families, including children, all resulting from the greed of the trucking industry really demands a separate thread. As I wrote, "Don't get me started".

In the meantime, please focus - 

"Any tips/suggestions/comments on how to judge passing distance are appreciated."

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 7:17am
If you have trouble judging the space, consider a rear view camera on the back of the Pod. We are about 15 feet longer total from the eX/Pod combo now. The Lance has a rear view camera, and darned if I don't like it very much. We don't use it much for backing and getting into campsites.. but on the road, love it.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 8:35am
I have had fair luck with using the turn signals early, to let folks know I want to change lanes. I've noticed semis generally give me same courtesy they provide each other by flashing lights to let me know I have cleared them and have space to move over. I also have larger extendable mirrors on the TV which have helped visually. When I set up my RV GPS option, I was surprised TV and TT were 44' long. Lot of moving stuff and understand the concerns.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 10:14am
Furpod has an excellent suggestion with the use of a rear camera. I hope one of the future improvements on the R-Pod with be at least they putting in the wiring to mount a rear camera as they now do in the Jayco Hummingbird. You may want to look into adding on rear view mirror extenders that will give you a better sight view to the rear.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 3:16pm
Sorry. Not intended ti hijack, but I felt I had to say that.

I will say +1 to the rear-view camera. They are relatively inexpensive these days, and there is a large selection to choose from. personally, I think I might lean toward one of the wired units, but that's probably a personal decision.

Our rig plus the R-pod is in the neighborhood of 44', so there is a fair amount of distance to factor into the equation.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 5:15pm
I installed a rear view camera on the license plate of our 190 and it's a great help with lane changes, backing and just seeing what goes on back there.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by crw8sr

I installed a rear view camera on the license plate of our 190 and it's a great help with lane changes, backing and just seeing what goes on back there.

Excellent idea!!! I was wondering where and how to install a rear view camera and you have maybe supplied a good answer! Could you please supply me and other forum users more details of what kind of camera you bought, and how you wired it direct and mounted it on the license plate frame??? In advance thank you!
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>