R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBearing seal removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bearing seal removal
    Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 12:18pm
After a 10,000 mile trip this past summer I decided to do some bearing maintenance on my 2015 178. The passenger side wheel made a rubbing noise as I rotated it so I figured I'd remove and check the bearings. The rear seal absolutely refuses to come out. I've tried prying it from the outside with a big screw driver and when that failed I made up a piece of 1/4" steel which spanned both sides of the bearing cage, hoping to drive the bearing out from the the other side. All I've succeeded in doing is squishing the spring out of the seal. The bearing moves back and forth maybe an 1/8" however the seal refuses to budge. I tried heating the outer hub but that made no difference. Any ideas on how to remove the seal to get the bearing out?
Judging by the front bearing it was probably the brake that was rubbing so I'm just digging a deep hole for no reason it seems.
advice appreciated...thanks
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 1:08pm
In my experience, the answer is, hit it some more.
itspossible2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 1:12pm
After watching a you tube video I just cut the edge of the seal with tin snips and yanked it out with vice grips...problem solved. Looks like the bearing survived my torture but it has a bit of discoloration on the inside. I'll take it to the bearing guys when I order the new seal and let them be the judge.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 3:06pm
You are probably on right track. There should always be some noise when rotating wheel, that's the brake shoe against the hub. Some of the seals are hard to remove but heat is not right answer. Best way to remove seal is with a seal removal tool that pries it out, they are tight. Good luck. Personally I would replace bearing.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply