R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTable Improvement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table Improvement
    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 11:53am
I got rid of the stupid Rpod table and built an attached table.  It is more solid and much easier to clean around and get into and out of.  I will make a nicer table top at some point, but this will do for the moment.  I can still transform it to a bed by knocking the pins out of the hinges, removing the top and folding the table leg down.  If we are using the dinette as a bed often (not the plan) I will get some metals pins which will be much easier to take out then the tapered pins of the door hinges. 

The pictures show the window in cold weather mode with reflectix installed.  The wooden support makes putting the reflectix under the window shade much easier and should block cold air falling down the wall.  The reason the support along the wall is so long is because there is nothing but styrofoam in the wall where you want the table to be.

Here is the link to the foldable leg support:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073B28XZG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the link to the door hinges:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OQVVFNU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 12:05pm
I like it!Big smile
Swampfox
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 5:44pm
Nice Job!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 6:24pm
Well done!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
Cactus_Hawk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 11:06am
 Here are my table mods. Decided to re-build the existing ottoman to incorporate a table.  Got the idea from coffee tables that have a lift up top.  The new ottoman is an inch shorter than the old one but about 6 inches wider.  It needed to be wider to hold the arms that allow it to move up in position.  I made the arms, table top,and box myself...as you can see, I’m not a steel worker or furniture maker:)I still need to make a new cushion for it.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 11:53am
I like it. That's a 179 right? Did you remove the other ottoman?

I was just looking at that ottoman this morning. I'd like to mount an inverter in that unused space but its a bit too small. You've given me an idea...
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Cactus_Hawk

Here are my table mods. Decided to re-build the existing ottoman to incorporate a table.  Got the idea from coffee tables that have a lift up top.  The new ottoman is an inch shorter than the old one but about 6 inches wider.  It needed to be wider to hold the arms that allow it to move up in position.  I made the arms, table top,and box myself...as you can see, I’m not a steel worker or furniture maker:)I still need to make a new cushion for it.
Wow! That is spectacular! I like it!
I would like to see more details for sure, such as the arm mechanism inside the new ottoman and under the table.
I would be interested in reading how this performs in actual use also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 2:57pm
Yes, it’s a 179. I did remove the other ottoman as it just took up space.  To clarify we don’t ever plan on using the dinette as a bed other than just the bench seat.  Our son fits there just fine.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Originally posted by Cactus_Hawk

Wow! That is spectacular! I like it!
I would like to see more details for sure, such as the arm mechanism inside the new ottoman and under the table.
I would be interested in reading how this performs in actual use also.

Here are some additional photos.  You can buy arms off of different places like Amazon but the tallest I could find was about 11” and I needed at least 18” in order to comfortably slide in under the table so I just made them myself.  Built a few prototypes out of cardboard first to make sure I understood the function and dimensions.  The new ottoman is just 2”x3”, 1”x1” and oak veneer plywood.

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 3:33pm
Very nice! 

We never expect to have anyone sleep in that area.  My wife telecommutes sometimes though so it could be a nice compact workstation for her (if I make the extension leg removable) as well as a larger dining area when extended. 

I can see replicating something very similar and at the same time building in my inverter and providing ventilation for it. Maybe also a slide in seat back for her to have back support working?  It also solves my problem of having to flip the current table upside down on the bed  so it doesn't slide around while towing on windy roads. 

Were there any issues with having to repair the area where the other ottoman you removed was? 

Thanks for sharing!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>