R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTable Improvement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table Improvement
    Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Very nice! 

We never expect to have anyone sleep in that area.  My wife telecommutes sometimes though so it could be a nice compact workstation for her (if I make the extension leg removable) as well as a larger dining area when extended. 

I can see replicating something very similar and at the same time building in my inverter and providing ventilation for it. Maybe also a slide in seat back for her to have back support working?  It also solves my problem of having to flip the current table upside down on the bed  so it doesn't slide around while towing on windy roads. 

Were there any issues with having to repair the area where the other ottoman you removed was? 

Thanks for sharing!

No real repair needed as there are only three small holes where the old screws went into the floor.  Can’t even see them unless you know exactly where they were...and even then it’s hard to find them.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 5:29pm
Great, thanks!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 6:47pm
Very nice indeed! Do you have any sort of spring on the legs to help raise the table and/or keep it upright or does the lid to your new ottoman serve the purpose to keep it upright when it is in place?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Cactus_Hawk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Very nice indeed! Do you have any sort of spring on the legs to help raise the table and/or keep it upright or does the lid to your new ottoman serve the purpose to keep it upright when it is in place?

I wanted to add springs but could not find ones that fit right (problem with my design). The good news is the lid to the ottoman holds the legs in place really tight so no real need. The springs would have helped with lifting the table into position but it’s not that heavy.

I made this on the fly and if I did it again I would make a few changes. Springs would be one and another type of wood would be another. Popular might have been a better choice to match the existing wood/fake wood. I found the stain color on this forum and it matches well but the grain of the oak not so much.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 12:11am
One caveat on using Poplar for the top: It warps with changes in humidity! I made a table and will need to re-do the top as the boards warp. The one way I could fix it would be to cut the top into strips and reverse alternate ones, gluing them together with splines or biscuits to keep them from separating. That way, the tendency to warp would be mitigated by grain not all running in the same direction.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 10:09am
Originally posted by StephenH

One caveat on using Poplar for the top: It warps with changes in humidity! I made a table and will need to re-do the top as the boards warp. The one way I could fix it would be to cut the top into strips and reverse alternate ones, gluing them together with splines or biscuits to keep them from separating. That way, the tendency to warp would be mitigated by grain not all running in the same direction.
Why not just use a decent veneer plywood? That would solve the warp issue, and you'd just have to trim the edges with a strip or matching veneer?

Like the idea very much BTW.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 7:04pm
Plywood would be the easier way to go and I have been considering using it to replace the warped poplar top. I was thinking of using a thin trim strip around the edges which could be poplar or other wood, possibly contrasting. That way, I would not have the plywood veneer edges to look at. It could also be an angle strip and then it would make a rim around the edges. That would work on the outsides, but not the place where they come together. I would not want a ridge down the middle of the table when it is set up.

Right now, I can't do anything about it since the table is in our R-Pod at the dealer's service department. It will probably be at up to five more weeks before we get it back.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12