R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTire demolition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire demolition
    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 8:19pm
Going down the road today, the road side tire just disintegrated all at once.  I guess it de-laminated.  Tore the fender completely off.  3+ year old Discount Tire tires.  Just out of warranty.  Showing a bit of wear.  I didn't examine them carefully before we departed but I did check the air.  Maybe 20K miles on them.
Of course the spare was way low on air but I carry air, so that was no problem.  The fender doesn't look too hard to replace.  I'll spend some time tomorrow or next week buying new tires.  We made it to our destination, so I'll have pleny of time for tires.  I'll have to drive home sans one fender though....
TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:35am
 We lost our tire once my fault I didn't check to see if lug nuts were tight as I should have. When wheel came off it tore our fender off too. I was able to reattach it with no problem. Do you still have the fender that came off?
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:17am
Yeah, I have the fender but it looks like a big piece of crumpled aluminum foil.  I hope FR can sell me a replacement.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 7:47am
FR has replacements. Sudden tire destruction can happen for many reasons. Unless someone happens to see it happen, it's often only conjecture as to what really happened. You need to check the clearance light wiring also, sometimes it will pull it completely out when the tire goes.  

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:12am
I think the wiring is sort of okay.  It will take a bit of work but it looks like there is something usable there.

It happened really fast!  Bang, and some fishtailing in an instant!  I think I caught a glimpse of rubber and fender in the air as I took a quick peak in the rearview, but my focus was keeping us straight and getting off the road as quickly as I could.  It was exciting for a few seconds -- then it was over.

Some little car caught the fender under their car.  They stopped in front of me and I was sure we were going to have to exchange insurance information, but we walked to meet each other and assured each other that we were both okay.  He handed me my fender.  It was unrecognizable, but there was only one thing it could be.  And then he drove off.

Really glad to have had my mini-floor hydraulic jack and a DeWalt 1/2" impact driver.  (Man, that thing is the best!  Not something most people usually carry, but for changing tires it is fantastic.)  And, mostly for airing back up after 4-wheeling on sand, I carry a regulated tank of liquid CO2, so I had plenty of "air" to top up the spare.  Getting back on the road was relatively quick and easy.

The spare still had the new-tire sticker on it, from about 8 years ago.  It's been covered, and it looks pretty good.  This was my first flat ever, in over 30,000 miles on the Pod, so I wasn't too worried about having another flat yesterday and not having a spare, but I sure didn't like not having it.  Of course it was Thanksgiving, and now I really need 2 new tires, maybe 3, but there was almost no way that was going to happen. 

I knew about this, but one thing that was emphasized by this experience is that the spare wheel is different than the road wheels.  The spare wheel will fit on the spare tire carrier, but the road wheels will not.  So I had to throw the bad tire in the Pod.  I guess I could have strapped it to the roof rack on the FJ, but it would have been so much simpler, and more logical, to hang it on the Pod's spare tire carrier.  I guess my Pod was probably $3 cheaper than it might have been due to the savings on the spare carrier.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:49am
TT,

One of the reasons I went with EEZ TP monitoring system. I can at least see tires loosing pressure or heating suddenly. Of course delaminating would happen fast, but you might see a temp rise.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:13am
Mmmmm.  As Furpod said, I really don't know what happened, except from what I can see of what's left of the tire.  There was no indication of anything ahead of time.  Of course I wasn't doing constant ongoing evaluations beyond the normal, but there was no pull like from a low tire and no extra road hum that I noticed.  I doubt a TPMS would have helped in this case, but it wouldn't have hurt.  Something to consider...  

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

The spare still had the new-tire sticker on it, from about 8 years ago.  It's been covered, and it looks pretty good.  This was my first flat ever, in over 30,000 miles on the Pod, so I wasn't too worried about having another flat yesterday and not having a spare, but I sure didn't like not having it.  Of course it was Thanksgiving, and now I really need 2 new tires, maybe 3, but there was almost no way that was going to happen. 
That spare is almost certainly past its "use by date" if it is 8 years old. Granted it was protected from UV, but it was still exposed to atmosphere for that time. Be sure to check the date on the sidewall.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 10:23am
What was the speed rating on the blowout tire?  And how fast were you going?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 10:33am
Originally posted by furpod

Sudden tire destruction can happen for many reasons. Unless someone happens to see it happen, it's often only conjecture as to what really happened.  

+1

Most importantly, I'm glad you came through the incident OK. We don't want any "vacancies" on the forum!   

Anything that I would comment would just be a guess so, I won't. It's a good reminder for the rest of us to check our spares (for the TV too) and be prepared.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>