R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBack Wall Separating Out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back Wall Separating Out
    Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 3:30pm
I used longer screws and it seemed to work. My theory was if it does go unto the tubing, it is inside the wall, it won't leak. There are several videos on interweb of RPod construction to include the floor.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 3:48pm
Interestingly, the way it works is.. when assembling the wall unit, they place wood blocks INSIDE the aluminum tubing where things get screwed into.So you want to pierce the aluminum frame member and anchor in the wood inside.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by furpod

Interestingly, the way it works is.. when assembling the wall unit, they place wood blocks INSIDE the aluminum tubing where things get screwed into.So you want to pierce the aluminum frame member and anchor in the wood inside.
That's not everywhere though? The way the factory video shows them welding together the aluminum frame implies (to me) that most of the aluminum tubes are probably empty.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 6:19am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Originally posted by furpod

That's not everywhere though? The way the factory video shows them welding together the aluminum frame implies (to me) that most of the aluminum tubes are probably empty.

It's wherever they need to screw into something more than the aluminum framing. And it's not a "R-Pod" thing, it's how almost all aluminum framed walls are done for campers. Not sure how or what the welding has to do with the placement of wood blocking. But, it's not an issue.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:09am
Old video from Oregon. I've used it to see how to it was put together to address fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXNYA73rCNE
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
shicks View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 8:33am
Seems like mine was manufactured differently?  There was a metal tube along the bottom of the outside back wall that moved with the flexing.  That tube lined up with another tube attached to the frame.  I couldn't see the 2nd on so not sure if was tube or metal or frame?

There is no way the 1 inch screws were holding the wall to the camper.  They were holding the wall to the back wall tube frame but something caused the back wall tube frame to separate from ??.

I ended up drilling through the first metal tube, creating a pilot hole in the 2nd metal.  I used #10, 2.5 inch screws which grabbed in the last 1/2 inch and are tight!  Not sure why is different from others but it ain't going anywhere now!

Thanks for all the responses.
RP 2014 178/Grand Cherokee/E2 WDH/Prodigy P3
Mods: Solar, lowes shelves, sink-out, dual batts/propane, steps, door window, EMS, glass stove top, tires, Microair EasyStart... it doesn't seem to end.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12