R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed176T specific mods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 176T specific mods
    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 12:45am

This link is to pictures of the mods R-Pod 176T interior mods

We bought a 2011 176T recently. Our first priority was to optimize the dinette/bed setup for two empty nesters. I salvaged the table top and repurposed the "gurney" for my shop. I installed a bulkhead attached to the rear dinette seat partition that the table top is hinged from. The table can be raised level, propped on the telescoping leg I added. The bulkhead is set at 78" from the rear wall of the tent. That way we can use 2 Exped self-inflating air mattresses, creating a queen bed.

With the table down, there is seating two, with convenient access to the bed from either side. I will build a hanging shelf from the collapsed table to hold drinks, Kindles, etc. I will also build a tuckaway support so that a bed can still be set up across the seating space, using one of the mattresses.

On the other end of the trailer, I cut off the upper bunk even with the partition. That creates a great storage shelf and frees up space for the hanger wall plus extra seating and/or clothes storage - you name it. The lower bunk can still be used for sleeping. We may have times on the road or when the weather is bad, that we don’t bother to use the tent.

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 9:10am
Nice work Jerry.  We cut out the upper bunk in our 172 and kept a portion of it for shelving as you did.  In fact I added a second layer of shelving so it holds a bunch of plastic boxes with locking lids.  I put a cargo net up in front of the shelf to keep all the stuff from falling off in a turn or a bump.  

I think you get more sleeping space with your use of the dinette.  Though I raised and widened the lower bunk in our Pod, it's still not the width of a full size bed, but it's cozy. Ermm
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
lviathan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 1:30pm
Our teen is outgrowing the headspace on the bottom bunk.  We need the storage space of the top bunk but ideally would raise it up 6 or 8 inches.  Looks like I could just remove the top bunk, build up some spacers on the original supports and put a new shelf in, no?
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 1:57pm
Hi Ivathan, 
Not sure how big your teen is but I actually sleep in my top bunk, I've tried both and even though the space is smaller it feels bigger because it is open to the rest of the camper. I have a little folding step stool and hop right up there. 
Julie
 Post Reply Post Reply