R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas Mileage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 21>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Mileage
    Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Gone to Pod

I'm also watching this issue closely.  I have not bought yet and this is an issue to me.  I have been to the dealer and we have settled on the 175 but are waiting to see if FR "cares" enough about their current and potentially new customers enough to fix this or even reply here so we know they are trying to fix it.  This could be the deciding factor on the R-Pod or any other FR product.  If they won't address this issue how can I trust they will care about any other issues that come up.  When I worked in retail we had a saying, "a happy customer will tell one other person, an unhappy customer will tell 10".  From the looks of this thread we are telling more than 10.

OMGConfused this is R-POD Owners Forum, run by R-POD owners.  Some of the R-Pod Owners have contacted Forest River and have been kind enough to share the information with the Forum.  No where does it say that Forest River is part of this forum (unless I missed fine print somewhere),  to the best of my knowledge no one from Forest River has ever posted on this forum.  

As a new potential customer you probably should either contact Forest  River directly or though your dealer (which is the way I think they prefer), then maybe your wait won't be so long and your get the information you what from the dealer who I'm sure cares.

Meanwhile back to GAS Mileage...
I've contacted an "Airtab" dealer, sent r-pod pictures, ask advice on placement, asked if he could a simulated my rig and offered to be a test subject.  Since I don't have access to my pod I could not provide dimensions,
I'm NO ENGINEER and not real techie but for me this might be a light weight solution to the "rear drag" if it changes the air pocket.  Secondly I also wonder if a disruption of the air Wall in front of the r-pod by using the Airtab on the roof of the truck, might make it a softer brick wall.

http://www.airtab.com/en/ Here's the link, u tube also has a couple of videos.  

So check it out, or am I just falling for the hype.

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Runebane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 9:24pm
Those are interesting.   I might actually see if I can wrap my head around the NASA report, hopefully it'll have a management level summary (IE pretty pictures, graph, airtab = good/bad/whatever)t hat will be easy to understand ;)

-Runebane
RP-177
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 9:39pm
OK... "he cares", here are two replies to my questions.  I think maybe  on sides, on A/C and on Pickup.  

QUOTE-Lee,

Mount the Airtabs only on the sides - not in a straight vertical line but following the side contour.  In other words, the trailing edge apex of each Airtab should be located just a couple of inches forward of the trailing edge of the side of the trailer.  The line of Airtabs will be curved to mimic the side contour as viewed from the side.  Much like the red painted "swoop" graphic except positioned far enough aft that the line of Airtabs will fit aft of the side window.

Jack Latimer
Airtab, LLC

Lee,

The roof is rounded, a what point in the curve would I put the air tabs. 
Mount the Airtabs only on the sides.

If at all possible place a cover over the bed of the truck.  You can mount the Airtabs as shown in Fig 2 (see this link)
 QUOTE-

LeeClap
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 10:00pm

Kickstart, welcome.  Thanks for the input on your 'pod w/o A/C.

FYI to all, the person I sent the info to is the Product Manager for the 'pod at FR.  I don't think we can get the message across any clearer.  I haven't heard back even after following up, but I've been told in the past he's often hard to get hold of so I'm not worried.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Runebane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 10:16pm
Looks interesting Butterfly.   I'm looking at their Fuel Savings "Calculator".  At 6mpg, you save 500 gallons, at 8mpg you save 375 and at 10mpg you save 300 gallons over 75,000 miles.   So 300 x the current(ish) $3 a gal gas you're looking at $900.00 savings (roughly) over however long it takes to travel 75,000 miles in the pod.  I know that would take me quite a while to rack up, others will be there in a couple years ;)   

The tabs are $2.75 each.  The kit, which has 80 of them, may be enough to cover the TV & 'Pod @ 3 per foot.  The kit is $220, same $2.75 each, no discount for the kit so you're better off measuring and ordering just what you need. 

I think I'll let you go first and let me know how it goes ;)

-Runebane
RP-177
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 10:45pm
Lee,

I'd pretty much given up on finding a workable solution to the drag problem (attaching a spoiler at the proper position on the r-pod would be difficult at best and would require more drilling into the trailer's skin than I was willing to do), but the airtabs have piqued my interest.  The cost is also low enough that I might be willing to experiment.

Of course, the promised returns are low: up to 4% fuel savings.  This would take my current 13 mpg to 13.54 mpg in their best-case scenario.  Of course, the r-pod's unique shape will likely affect the outcome - although I don't know if it'll be better or worse.

Anyway... the instructions state that the airtabs should be mounted 4" on centre.  When mounting the airtabs along the r-pod's curve, do you think that this should be every 4" along the curve, or every 4" vertically?  My guess is that it should be vertically, otherwise the airtabs would be crowded too close together.  The minivan in figure 2 that Jack Latimer had linked to seems to confirm this.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Outbound

I'd pretty much given up on finding a workable solution to the drag problem (attaching a spoiler at the proper position on the r-pod would be difficult at best and would require more drilling into the trailer's skin than I was willing to do), but the airtabs have piqued my interest.  The cost is also low enough that I might be willing to experiment.

YEP YEP  Thanks to both of you and the voice of reason....if we only gain half a mile worth of MPG then it would take 25,000 miles to brake even...at this point I'm probably doing between 4000 to 5000miles a year in the pod.  It would take 6 or 7 years to brake even, what kinda savings in that?LOL
I can camp at a lot of State Parks for $220.00

I started prepositioning (ARMY TERMCry) Podterfly for a couple of months worth of trips.  Drop her off 200 miles to the North, go to parks in the area.  I get 20-22MPG in the truck both ways which means 1 tank of gas instead of two (when towing), storage cost $35.00 a month.  So basically at the end of this two month period, three camping weekends I'll have saved two tanks of gas about $85.00.  I won't leave her in the North for the winter, keep her home and plan to take some southern trips in the winter, plus south TEXAS is FLAT and I get better MPG then going uphill and north.

Next year I planned a little more and preposition in the spring and save all summer.  So the Heck with MPG when towing...life is too short...Enjoy the POD.

LeeClap

KJR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 1:07am
The way this trailer and other lightweights are marketed appeals to owners of smaller vehicles. I have several brochures from the Dallas RV show. Heartland's Rpod copy is called the MPG. It's shape is similar to the Rpod so I can I expect the same "barn door" affect? The MPG brochure states "Towable by many of today's popular crossover vehicles and smaller SUVs". The Rpod doesn't make any such claim in their brochure but they mention the light weight. The Forest River Wolf Pup brochure shows a Honda Odyssey pulling one. The Crossroad Sling Shot brochure states "So light a minivan can tow it". This brochure goes as far as listing the vehicles that can tow each floor plan. It shows the Ford Escape can pull the GT21FD and the GT23CK both have about a 3000lb dry weight. The Escape is only has a 3500lb tow capacity. I looked at these trailers at the show and there is no way I'd feel comfortable towing this size trailer with an Escape. 

Even though Forest River never states mileage figures the implied impression is given that pulling an Rpod trailer will be economical. The curved front and rear end imply an aerodynamic shape that shouts out "great gas mileage when towed". So if you don't get any better mileage pulling this design than a more boxy shape there is no advantage to buy an iPod.  There are other trailers that are about the same length that even include wardrobes which I find annoyingly absent from Rpod and MPG floorplans.

Here is one website that describes the Fun FinderX t139. This trailer is about 14 foot long and is pulled by a V8 Tundra pickup getting 12-14 mpg. This website is very entertaining and informative. 

http://www.bettatalk.com/houdinihome.htm

Kelvin
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 7:40am
"I'm not sure we can solve/improve the problem with the tools at hand - if indeed it is able to be solved/improved in a reasonable/cost effective manner."  To quote myself.

I bailed on this topic a few days ago.  Frankly, I think if there were a super-efficient air flow design, one of the manufacturers would already be producing the product and DOMINATING the TT market.

My best hope was an airfoil, but as others have implied; is spending $200 or so on the product and having to drill into the Pod worth a small gain in mpg?  Is it cost effective?  Plus, real world varibles such as wind speed/direction, etc. would have a substantial effect on any aero devise(s).  Any change in the tow angle of the Pod would also have a substantial effect.

Let the voices of reason prevail.  While it is an interesting problem to discuss, from an intellectual point of view, the practicalities of the matter are probably not easily overcome with a shape that lends itself to a floor plan (with desired amenities) that many of us would want to buy.   Just remember - be nice!  Smile 
popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 11:14am
I sent an email to the Airtab people and received the same reply noted above.  They also recommended a cover for the truck bed of my TV.  We are planning to put an aluminum cover over the truck bed so that should improve mileage as well.  One thing that some Airtab testimonials mentioned is the improved stability of the travel trailer when trucks pass them on the highway.  The cost of the Airtabs can be considered as an alternative to a sway bar for the pod.
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 21>