R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack Tank Filled?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Tank Filled?
    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

Better to be seen, than have the tank full to the brim and sloshing around and into the trailer interior when the monitor says empty....

Tongue
The problem isn't seeing it; it's not seeing it.  Or rather always seeing the exact same brown crud clinging to the inside of the site glass. 

It might work.  So might the existing monitors though.

Looking down the toilet is pretty much a sure thing.  And no more likely to result in sloshing in the trailer than any other method.  At least arguably, less likely.

For boondocking, there is no way to fill the black tank anyway, if you ever wash your hands or dishes.  All tanks are 30 gallons.  If you have hookups (except for sewer) the gray tank will almost certainly fill first, so that's your cue to empty the gray and black tank.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 10:19pm
The entire suggestion was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I think it has merit, but I don't plan to install one either. 

My comment about sloshing is in reference to movement of the trailer and full black tank contents during travel, not peering into the tank from above while stationary.

Just FYI, it is entirely possible to fill the black tank first when boondocking. Making fresh water runs with jugs to refill the fresh tank, and taking showers remotely or outside, and/or draining the grey water in buckets or blueboys and/or freely on the ground (not acceptable but I've seen it done anyway) so yeah, the black tank can end up full before the grey tank.  

Thirty gallons is a LOT of waste but with 2 or more people and a few weeks in the boonies, yep. It can happen. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:41am
I concede that it is possible to fill the black tank first but as you outlined, one would really have to work at it, replenishing the potable tank. No amount of outside showers or dumping gray water on the ground is going to cause the black tank to fill first, or at all, unless the potable tank is replenished, in which case one would hope the camper would be aware of the potential black and gray tank issues.

And yes, it's possible to fill the black tank so full it will overflow when moving.  That can be done with any monitoring system if no one monitors the system or it doesn't work.  Any method of monitoring that works and is used can prevent that though.  Of the three monitoring systems being discussed, sensors, sight glass, looking down the toilet, I maintain that the one that will work most reliably is looking down the toilet.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 5:32am
The problem with refilling the fresh tank without dumping is that with the larger rPods that is almost certainly going to put the trailer over the max axle weight. If you fill both the fresh and gray tanks that's 500 lbs.

In fact, I'm now wondering if that is one reason some folks are having axle problems. It will also in most floor plans put your weight too far aft, creating sway risk. 

Bottom line, when you run out of fresh water, find a dump station, drain both gray and fresh, then refill the fresh tank. Everything will be safe from the stinkies and the swayies and your axle will thank you. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 10:31am
Most of the boondocking I have done, and other campers I have boondocked with, involved the use of a blueboy to cart off the waste to an appropriate dump receptacle. Most often, the blueboys will not hold the full amount of both holding tanks of whatever size is on a particular trailer. In fact, my blueboy is only 11 gallons capacity.

So yeah, if I did it wrong, (as if!) I could end up with a full black tank and an empty or nearly empty grey tank. As Tar says, I'd have to really work at it. Other campers with no blueboy might dispose of grey water by local draining, OR, produce very little grey water, but the black tank is not being emptied. 

Some boondockers with a failed fresh water pump (or leaky plumbing) have used portable jugs to pour water into the commode during use. You know...'stuff' happens.

But in the general RVing public, things have been known to be done incorrectly...all one has to do is watch youtube to see people doing dumb things and then monetizing the video....so maybe it's not THAT dumb if they cry all the way to the bank...

Wink

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12