R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhot water bypass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: hot water bypass
    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 3:13pm
Since I camp at remote sites without city water, I never use my hot water tank. I'm wondering if it is okay to just leave the hot water bypassed year-round as I do when I winterize my r.pod. If so, should I leave the anode rod installed or take it out?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 3:46pm
You could leave it bypassed I guess.  Shut off the ac heating element so you don't accidentally burn it up if you do plug in. 

I would leave the anode in so you don't get bugs in there. if you're worried about seeping water past the bypass valves you could leave it screwed in loosely or open it once in awhile to be sure it wasn't getting any water in it.  

But why does boondock camping preclude you from using the hot water tank? i use mine all the time and I rarely have a water hookup. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 5:22pm
+1 to offgrid on using hot water tank boondocking.  you can turn it off when not needed. it reheats fairly quickly when you are ready and does not seem to be a fuel hog IMO.  Hot water is very nice out in the boonies.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 5:43pm
+2 to offgrid.  We have been using our 177 for nearly 9 years and usually camp where there are no hookups and that includes electric.  I enjoy not having to heat hot water over a fire or over a propane stove especially when washing dishes, my hair (what's left of it) and myself in the shower.  Agree with texman, "hot water is very nice out in the boonies."
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 5:44pm
Greetings:
I have mine bypassed and don't use it.  I find I can heat up a pot with the water I need much quicker with less waste on the stove.  I left the anode out and stuffed some Stainless steel wool into the opening.  I take showers in the parks where I stay or take a sponge bath at the sink.  I travel alone so this works for me.  

Crankster78  R-179  
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 6:13pm
Never have bypassed the WH. Handy when I have city water or fresh tank. Never bypassed when I winterize with air pressure, never an issue. 5 years, never bypassed.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Hi-Line View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 6:37pm
Thanks to all for the thoughtful answers and advice. I just got to think when I winterized last week, I've had my r.pod 5 years (spent more than 100 nights in it) and have never used the hot water...so why am I switching it back and forth every spring and fall? Truth be told, most of my camping is on a friend's property where I have access to electricity, hot water and hot showers...nothing fancy but nice to have. I'm kind of in Crankster78's situation where I travel alone (with 2 dogs) and don't need much in the way of hot water. I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't screw something up by leaving the hot water tank bypassed. Thanks again.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 7:28am
As was pointed out, won't hurt a thing.
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 7:49am
Ha! And I thought I was a Dark Sider.. LOL

Guess I'm right in between here. Rarely is the Hot Water turned on (twice a week..), yet it does get used. I also find dish / body washing is much less wasteful when stovetop heating water. 

I do like the connivence of a nice hot shower! Mine will stay inline.. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Hi-Line View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 11:38am
Hey Olddawg, I didn't know I was a "Dark Sider" but I'll plead guilty LOL! I started out tent camping about 100 years ago, so my r.pod, even without hot water, seems like the lap of luxury. Who knows, someday I may emerge into the 20th century (or is it the 21st?) into a world of bright sunlight and hot water...but I doubt it. They say a certain amount of suffering is good for the soul!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>