R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery Maintenance?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Maintenance?
    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 6:35pm
You don't need to disconnect or shut down anything when you check your water levels. `The battery will be at around 13V whether you disconnect or not. There is no shock hazard at that voltage, you can touch the battery + terminal with one hand and the - with the other hand and not feel a thing. But, as StephenH says, don't ever short out the battery + terminal to either the - or to the trailer frame with anything metallic as that would cause high current to flow and so creates a risk of burns and fires to occur. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 10:40am
We are plugged in 24/7. I check water levels about every 3 months. I don't disconnect or turn off anything. I think I will dewinterize this week, just because it feels good to do so.. 4 trips cancelled so far.. but such is life. But, when I dewinterize, and sanitize tanks and plumbing, I will check the batteries. and top them off as/if needed.
RoverPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Disconnect from shore power is not needed if you go to your power panel and turn off the converter (on mine, it is the bottom circuit breaker). If you are not using metal when working around the batteries, you don't necessarily need to disconnect the cables unless you need to do so for access to the cell covers.

Be sure to use distilled water when adding to your battery. That way, you don't introduce contaminants to the electrolyte.

Originally posted by offgrid

You don't need to disconnect or shut down anything when you check your water levels. `The battery will be at around 13V whether you disconnect or not. There is no shock hazard at that voltage, you can touch the battery + terminal with one hand and the - with the other hand and not feel a thing. But, as StephenH says, don't ever short out the battery + terminal to either the - or to the trailer frame with anything metallic as that would cause high current to flow and so creates a risk of burns and fires to occur. 

Originally posted by furpod

We are plugged in 24/7. I check water levels about every 3 months. I don't disconnect or turn off anything. I think I will dewinterize this week, just because it feels good to do so.. 4 trips cancelled so far.. but such is life. But, when I dewinterize, and sanitize tanks and plumbing, I will check the batteries. and top them off as/if needed.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12