R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlgae in fresh water tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Algae in fresh water tank
    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:13am
I have had a continuing problem with algae in the fresh water tank of my 179.  I have bleach cleaned the tank each year in the past, but the problem always comes back.  Last fall I winterized and drained the tank.  To prepare the trailer this spring I inspected the tank with a TV endoscope via the fresh water fill tube and found a major infestation of new algae and that an inch or more of water had remained in the tank since my fall draining.  Clearly the drain is not at the lowest point of the tank so some water and the opportunity of regrowth of the algae remains.
On further inspection I discovered that the lowest point of the tank is actually where the flexible tube going to the pump connects to the tank.  I am considering installing a "T" at this point, reconnecting the pump feed to one side of the "T" and running a new tank drain line from the other side of the "T" to a new tank drain valve so the tank drains completely.  Has anyone else noted this drain problem or tried the solution I am considering?
Thank you for your help.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:36am
I’ve noticed the pump supply is lower on mine too but haven’t tried to drain there. Shouldn’t be a problem to do it but I’d rotate the tee and valve off to the side so it’s not hanging down below the tank bottom. You could also try parking on a slope for a bit when draining for the winter so that the drain was the lowest spot.

Algae won’t grow without sunlight so that might be why you have a problem in sunny NM while most don’t. Some sunlight must be getting to your tank so you might try blocking any reflected light with some boards or something next winter.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
1nana2many View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 10:03am
Just my curiosity, but would spraying the fresh water tank with something like black truck bed liner from a shaker can be a good idea for a more permanent solution be a good idea? Of course you would want to tape off any connections etc. to make sure tank was still removable in case of failure. It would be a royal pain to do it, but it would be a one time solution instead of trying to block the light every time you park your pod for any length of time. Just a thought. It’s not an issue I have algae-wise but the sunlight issue would be resolved.
The mountains are calling and we must go...O.D., Keith & Jody
2016 RP179= O.D. (Olive Drab)
2008 Coachman Captiva
1993 Jayco 1206 popup
2016 F150 Supercrew
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 10:18am
Yep, painting the tank should work, but polyethylene is hard to get anything to stick to so you’d have do some reseach to find the correct primer/paint system.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 10:48am
Too bad there isn't a UV-resistant FWT. We live in the country and replaced the original redwood water tank with a couple of HDPE tanks that are black. They let zero light into the tank, and now after 22+ years in full sun there is zero algae in those tanks.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 11:58am
It is recommend you sanitize the system regularly. It's part of the joy of owning an RV. Algae and cooties will come back in only a couple months, regardless.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 12:25pm
I would say, Sanitize the fresh water tank in the spring, not the fall. Part of dewinterizing is sanitizing the FWT.  Not to be judgemental, but why bother sanitizing in the fall, your all done with it then. 

BTW: I did notice a lot of algea was in my fresh water drinking hoses this year. I don't know if it was there before and I didn't notice. I was using them to spray the camper to find a leak, and noticed the camper kept getting stuff running down. I have bought all new drinking hoses, and will make sure I sanitize those each year too. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Too bad there isn't a UV-resistant FWT. We live in the country and replaced the original redwood water tank with a couple of HDPE tanks that are black. They let zero light into the tank, and now after 22+ years in full sun there is zero algae in those tanks.

If you find one be sure its a black watertank and not a blackwater tank. LOL

Personally I like the translucent tank so I can see the water level and don't have to depend on the level indicator lights. We never drink out of the tank so I'm not worried about a little algae now and then.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:54pm
Yeah, I haven't done it yet, but I always sanitize at the beginning of the season and again anytime I haven't used the system for a couple of months. 

I do like the idea of a tee at the low point of the plumbing, unless the actual low point drains would suffice.

I'd still want to sanitize the tank regularly even if I knew all water was out of the tank or it was painted black.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 7:59am
Taospod, if you're the kind of person who goes to the trouble of inspecting their tank with an endoscope, you'll probably never be truly satisfied that you are getting proper drinking water out of it. I don't blame you at all, I feel the same way. Do your best sanitizing, but you might be better off just bringing bottled water for drinking, cooking, and tooth brushing, and limiting the water from the tank for use for dish washing and showering. 

That's what many of us do. I bring a couple of those 2.5 gallon disposable plastic water dispensers and set one up on the counter while camping. I put it in the sink while travelling in case it leaks. Two last us well over a week.

Just a thought..
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>