R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedr-pod 196 Wardrobe Storage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: r-pod 196 Wardrobe Storage
    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 9:57pm
Anyone added shelves inside the wardrobe storage cabinet on the r-pod 196?  They are not tall enough to hang men's clothes so thinking it would be nice to have a shelf or two in there instead.  Looking for ideas.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 12:59pm
What are the dimensions of the cabinet? What we did in our RP179 was to get a wire rack shelving unit from Home Depot. It fit the inside of our wardrobe cabinet almost exactly. I just made some cleats that I screwed to the wall, and we ended up with 4 shelves (one on the bottom, and three wire shelves). Two for her, and two for me.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 4:46pm
We did the same thing as Glueguy in our 179.
Your dimensions may be different, but most wardrobe cabinets are in the 12"+/- range. the plastic covered wire shelving available in the big box stores are perfect.  they are thick metal rods inside, so can be hard to cut.  I used large bolt cutters and then filed the edges smooth.
I made simple 3/4"x3/4" ledgers which are plenty strong enough. I had to add an extra section because the wall was not flat on the left side .Usually the corners have a solid vertical piece on both sides.  The corners are the best place to anchor the. Center areas are probably hollow with thin plywood on one or both sides.
The shelving has a built in lip that drops down below the level of the shelf.  I cut my shelves so that the right side of my shelf was the back side of the original wire shelf. The left side of my shelf is the actual front edge of the original wire shelf.  So, I cut the original wire shelf into lengths for my shelves that were the front to back measurements of the wardrobe cabinet.  I hope this is clear. the pictures will help orientation.
Good luck
Vann

Good luck.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply