R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBetter converter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better converter?
    Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:58pm
Ok, so you have significantly more usable capacity in the bike battery than you do in the rpod battery. Add to that the efficiency losses in the inverter and the bike battery charger and you would need well over 200 amp hours to recharge it. Even if you have dual golf cart batteries your usable amp hours are only around 100, or no more than half what the bike would need, and that would leave you nothing for your other rpod requirements. 

If it were me and I was boon docking I would just fire up the Honda genny for a few hours to recharge the bike. Just sayin'....

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:32am
Originally posted by geewizard

I forgot the only way one gets AC in the RPod is from shore power.  I think I got confused because my truck camper is set up with a Xantrex PROsine 1800W inverter for AC needs.  And it has worked quite well for my needs since about 2008 or so.  I've never used the full capacity of that inverter and it is probably overkill but the price was right when I bought it.
That is one bodacious inverter. If you were to try and deliver 1800 watts, it would be in the neighborhood of 150 amps. That would require thumb-thick wires on the 12 VDC side.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12