R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdjusting Brake Contoller

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adjusting Brake Contoller
    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 6:53am
I have a DrawTite 5504 brake controller.  Since it isn't proportional I have noticed if I lightly put on the brakes the trailer brakes will go on hard which can cause a jerking when you stop.  I have a gain control which I believe controls the amount of braking and a synch control which is a time delay for braking.  I am assuming the synch time needs to be increased?  I don't seem to have issues if I put the brakes on solidly just when I am lightly tapping them usually when approaching a stop light......I may just need to adjust my braking habits.  Anyway just wondering if anyone here has a similar controller and how they adjust them.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 7:14am
Spend the money and buy a better controller. Timed controllers (IME) can never be tuned or adjusted correctly for our use.
I am guessing you bought it before joining here.. I do not remember anyone, ever, recommending one here.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 7:38am

The gain adjustment sets the maximum output so should be set so that the trailer brakes stop the rig using their max capacity short of lock up when you fully apply the manual control. The sync function will set the time delay (voltage ramp rate) at which the trailer brakes get energized , so to reduce the initial grabbing you should adjust the synch setting less aggressively. 

But when you do that you also get less rapid initial braking response in the event of an emergency stop. You will also wind up with too much braking action by the trailer during continuous braking on a downhill grade because the voltage will ramp up and stay there.

IMHO, these are the reasons you should replace that controller with a good proportional one, they aren't very expensive and are both safer and smoother, especially if you have a light tow vehicle relative to your trailer. The time controlled ones just can't do what the proportional ones can. You van try to work around that by making adjustments to the controller on the fly but who needs a distraction like that when you're in heavy traffic or on a windy steep mountain road. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:38am
Thanks for the info. For now I will adjust my braking and make a little less aggressive. The folks that wired my car put that controller on. If get a proportional will it just plug into the same harness?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:53am
You'd need to check the connector style and pin out to see if it was compatible. You ought to be able to do that from the instruction manuals for the two controllers.

All the wires you need should already be there though so at worst you'd just need to identify them  and splice them into the new connector under the dash. 

Just as a quick check the Tekonsha harness appears to be compatible, but you should confirm. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by pedwards2932

Thanks for the info. For now I will adjust my braking and make a little less aggressive. The folks that wired my car put that controller on. If get a proportional will it just plug into the same harness?
It is quite likely that the same harness will work, especially if you get one of the same brand. I would take the controller back to the place that installed it and say that it is not what you wanted. Perhaps they will give you credit toward a proportional controller.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:21pm
I am quite happy using the Tekonsha 'pod' brake controller with my r-pod...and it's a timed controller and works fine...it's dirt simple and cheap and old school and I would recommend it for someone on a budget and/or who prefers simple basic operation. With a timed controller, you can mount it in any position, including upside down with minimal clearances under the dash.

I also use it with another, even lighter trailer and again, it works fine for both trailers.

Yes, it takes a bit of fiddling but I like the amount of control I have, rather than letting the microprocessor over-react or under-react. This is my third timed controller in three different vehicles...I am familiar with how they feel and work.

And, timed controllers are closer to the feel of driving a semi with airbrakes and that is what I was used to.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
wthoms2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 9:33pm
Have switched to this when I bought my Pod. Love it, brakes really smooth and not jerking on slow stops.

I believe it has an enertial sensor detecting how much brake control to apply. Has adjustments to set to your preferences.Why it needs to be installed in a specific direction in relation to vehicle travel.

https://www.tekonsha.com/mobile/products/brake-controllers/proportional-controllers/trailer-brake-control-proportional/TzaIxkVx1cI5XOy!osRB55TR19SXShj4

Good luck!

Porta Poddy
Wil and Luz, Orange County, CA
2017.5 179 HRE
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
REDARC Brake Controller
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 3:41am
Here is the description of operation of the Tekonsha P2, which I have. The P3 and other modern proportional controllers work similarly. They use solid state accelerometers like what's in your smartphone. They are measuring accelerations on two axes so they know which way "down" is to zero out gravity. That also allows them to be mounted at any angle as long as they are facing the direction of travel. They are adjustable (Tekonsha calls it boost adjustment) so you can increase or decrease the braking action from the trailer relative to the tow vehicle. You might want to use a higher boost level if you had your water tank filled for example, or if you were on a long steep downhill grade. Other than that, once you have initially set your max braking level there is nothing to adjust, the controller will automatically apply trailer brakes in proportion to the deceleration rate you are getting by applying the tow vehicle brakes, which is what you want it to do. 

The Prodigy P2 electric brake controller supplies power to your tow vehicle's brakes proportionally. This means that your trailer brakes at the same time and with the same strength as your vehicle - even in reverse gear. If you have to slam on your truck's brakes, the trailer's brakes respond instantly, too - there's no delay. Therefore your vehicle's brakes aren't overworked from trying to stop the entire load, and they suffer less wear and tear extending the longevity of your brakes compared to time based controls. The P2 also cuts power to the trailer's brakes when your vehicle is stopped - extending the life of the magnets and brake shoes in the trailer's brake assemblies. Aside from smoother, more efficient braking that results from proportional application of stopping power, the Prodigy P2 also has a boost feature that gives you more initial braking power for those times when you're towing heavier loads. That's when more braking power is needed to stop the trailer at the same time as the tow vehicle. The boost setting sends 13 or 25 percent more power (depending on which setting you choose) back to the trailer brakes, thus compensating for heavier loads. You can boost the power manually at the push of a button as well. The boost feature gets more power to the trailer brakes exactly when you need it most, and your fully loaded rig brakes smoothly and comfortably. This brake controller levels automatically as you drive, so there's no problem using it on steep hills or when towing through the mountains. The self-leveling feature also makes the Prodigy easy to install: Simply mount it in your cab at any vertical angle (it has 360-degree rotation). It's easy to see the display and to access the pivoting manual override lever on the bottom of the unit. The P2's continuous diagnostic check monitors your connection and magnet condition, so you can fix any problems before they land you on the side of the road. This newest version of Tekonsha's popular Prodigy brake controller has reverse battery protection to preserve the unit and accessory systems. And the power-save mode reduces battery drain when the controller isn't in use. The included mounting pocket makes your brake controller portable. Your unit slides out of the pocket mount for easy transfer of the brake controller to another vehicle. After selecting the proper optional (sold separately) harness for your vehicle, one end of the pigtail harness plugs directly into your vehicle, while the other plugs into your P2. Just unplug the unit to move it to another car, truck or SUV use or simple storage - no hard-wiring required. An instructional DVD that is included with the brake controller's written instructions allows you to take full advantage of all the features.
  • Reverse battery protection for both vehicle and breakaway
  • Designed to work with electric over hydraulic brake systems
  • Numerous mounting options - including 360 degree vertical rotation
  • Digital display depicts voltage delivery to trailer during braking
  • No level adjustment necessary - it adjusts itself to varying terrain as you drive
  • Great for backing into tough spots! Works proportionally in reverse with the ability to disable when not needed
  • Produces stops that are in proportion to vehicles deceleration rate
  • "Boost" feature gives users the ability to apply more initial trailer braking power when towing heavier trailers
  • Continual diagnostics check for proper connection, shorted magnet conditions and much more
  • Quick and easy disconnect feature allows user to remove and store the control when not in use
  • Electric trailer brake control for up to 4 braking axles
  • Limited lifetime warranty
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply