R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Stainless Sink Upgrade & Exterior Shower Install
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStainless Sink Upgrade & Exterior Shower Install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stainless Sink Upgrade & Exterior Shower Install
    Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 7:01pm
I decided to do the 2 installs simultaneously because it gave me more access to each areas. The only issue I had was having to more the store to the right 1/4". When I measured for the sink purchase I didn't look under the countertop closely enough to see if there was room to accommodate the sink. I had to shift the sink to the right some, that required the stove more. All in all I'm pleased. The exterior shower install went without any issues.

The process went as follows:

I cut a plywood template the size of the opening I needed for the shower and drilled holes in each corner for the saw blade making sure I was well below the countertop:

I cut the opening with a saber saw:

The original sink was a simple removal:

Carefully laying out the new sink opening, I used the saber saw again. I had to remove the stove to cut the countertop, plus I had to move the stove to the right 1/4"

I got these 1/2" T - hose barbs at Lowes and spliced into the hot & cold going to the faucet:

I used a different hose connector than came with the shower for a more dependable connection:

I got those at Lowes also:

I glued 1/2" plywood backing inside behind the shower on the top and bottom of the opening to provide something for the screws to grab:

Here are the hot & cold lines going to the shower being careful to label them so not to be confused. I confuse easily:

I bought the sink at Amazon:

I opted for a single lever faucet because I was always concerned about hitting the hot or cold knob on the original with so little room. I bought the faucet at Lowes:

I bought the exterior shower at Amazon:

It will be interesting to see how much use it gets:

Up the Pitt View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 7:36pm
Wow - your new sink looks great!  I am envious.  Your kitchen layout looks quite a bit different than ours - which RPod did you modify? 
Traveling with Len (the fella) and Ted (the cat)
2016 RP 179 - 2010 Nissan Frontier (6-cyl)
http://www.upthepitt.com
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 7:48pm
  Good job! I did the same with our r-pod and Vibe replacing the factory sink with a larger stainless sink. Anything to make my wife happier when we go camping. Smile
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Up the Pitt

Wow - your new sink looks great!  I am envious.  Your kitchen layout looks quite a bit different than ours - which RPod did you modify? 

2015  178
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 8:15pm
Nice work!

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 9:16pm
nice
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
LongRanger View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 12:53pm
Hi there, I came across your project post while looking for a way to upgrade my Rpod kitchen sink. I'm curious how you secured the top mounted sink to the cabinet.

I have a 2018 RPod 190 with an under mount stainless sink. Unfortunately, the sink was not installed well and fell during a road trip. My plan is to replace it with a top mounted sink, but I'm not sure how to secure it.

Love your project. Thanks.

Doug
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 5:02pm
Top mount sinks are easy. They have brackets that hold the sink in place There is usually a flange into which one part of the bracket slides and a screw that tightens against the bottom of the counter. It does require access to the underside to be able to install and tighten the brackets. The sink in the picture above looks very similar, if not the same type as the one I installed in our 2016 RP-179.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 8:04am
Wanting to keep the undermount sink because of easy cleanup of the counter top, I elected to secure the sink from underneath to the cabinet walls and floor.  I installed wood supports from the flooring up the cabinet walls (on either side of the sink) then mounted a cross member between the supports.  This was done on the front and back ends of the sink.  It's not going anywhere.  Then I put a fresh bead of silicone where the sink meets the counter top, which has to be maintained to keep the water out.  We can keep fruit in the sink when traveling with no problems.  This works well for us and the above counter sink will be stable also but you would want to maintain a water tight seal where the sink meets the counter top. Water leaking underneath the edge of the sink would not be good for the counter top.  Hope this helps 
Jay

179/2019
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 8:28am
I second a good seal on the sink lip regardless of whether it is top or bottom mount. I used silicone with my top mount and it has not moved or deteriorated in the several years since I installed the sink. I did the same with the sink I installed at home.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>