R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHitch Weight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitch Weight
    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 4:02pm
Finally bit the biscuit and purchased a Sherline (0 -1000 lb.) for weighing the hitch on our 177.  Got to play with it today and the only thing needed to do at this point is to go to a public scale so the total weight of the R-Pod and TV can be recorded.

Interesting, the label weight (empty) states 2415 lb.  We do not have (ordered it this way) A/C, convection/microwave oven, or entertainment system.  Empty weight was recorded as 360 lbs. on the hitch.  Next the 30 gallon FW tank was filled, and weight dropped to 270 lbs.  Drained water out of tank and hitch weight went back to the original 360 lbs. 

Will feel better after getting the weight of the 177 weighed as 270 lb. tongue weight seems like it may be a little "light" if I want that 11% + figure that OG has wisely recommended.  Then again, will want to load up as if we are going on a trip so the weight will be realistic.  Comments from all you engineering gurus? They are welcomed here.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 4:19pm
Hello jato, glad to hear you have a Sherline hitch weight scale! I found one second-hand and I weighed our other 2 trailers as soon as I got home to test it and to see what our hitch weights are. No more guessing/estimating!

On other earlier posts it was commented on how handy the trailering guide is that is included with the scale...and they were right, lots of good info in that little pamphlet. The previous owner of the scale had built a handy little storage box to secure it, works great to protect it wherever I store it.
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 4:40pm
The 90 lb tongue weight reduction when you load 250 lbs aft like that doesn't surprise me. You've got a great big lever there. My 179 goes the other way because of the forward tank position.

I would for sure suggest that you weigh with your full normal baseline load out on board. For most folks that doesn't vary much. You can try to estimate what each item weighs and measure how far from the axle it is but the less of that the better.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 4:45pm
Curious as if on your 179 if the weight change would be identically opposite as compared to the 177  since your FW tank is probably the most forward tank?  Fortunately (I think) the gray water tank is directly above the axle and seeing that it is the most likely candidate to fill quickly, verses the black water tank, the hitch weight over time will not be as severe as compared to if the gray tank was the forward tank, ahead of the axle.
God's pod
'11 model 177
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 6:08am
The tank n the 182g was fore as well. the weight differences are according to distances, both from the axle and the hitch. 

Example from my Spreadsheet:

This is fore of axle:
X (item location from axle) x W (weight of item) / DHA (distance axle to hitch) 
This gives us 100 X 140 / 156 = 89.7lbs to the hitch
So we now know 140-90= 50lbs went to the axle

Aft of axle 'X' becomes a negative number.

I was very happy to hit the scales and see how well it worked.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 7:25am
Just so.

The only way that filling my tank could have exactly the same tongue weight change is if the distances to the axle (or more precisely if the ratio of the tank to axle divided by the coupler to axle distances) were the same. But they're similar for sure.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 9:48am
Just got back from the county weigh scales, here are the results:

truck - front axle 2800#
  "     - rear axle  2170#  includes 1 passenger @ 165# and 2/3 fuel tank

177  - 2620#  (includes 2 batteries @ 88#, 2 full propane tanks @ 74# + 60# incidentals)
                     does NOT include water
       -  + tongue weight of 360#
Total weight of 177 (w/o water) 2980

So now I have a dilemma that I never realized before  - by filling the FW + HW tanks the increase in weight will be 288 lbs bring the total weight to 3268 with a tongue weight of only 270 when FW tank is full only gives a bit over 8% tongue weight according to my calculations!  I did not add the 35 lbs into the black water tank (which is what I have as a minimum when camping) so the final outcome would be slightly off, but not by that much.

I wonder if the scale could have been off as I have hauled said 177 for the past 10 years over 34,000 miles with and '08 and '13 Explorer for 26,000 miles for 8 years and now most recently with an F-150 for the past 2 and have not had any issues - only using a Curt friction bar on all three vehicles. 

Wondering if I should get a 'second opinion' at another scale but figure the scales at the county should be correct as it came off the weighmasters truck.
God's pod
'11 model 177
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 10:24am
No reason to think the scales are off I don't think. Did you happen to get the truck weight by itself without the trailer? That would give you a cross check between the scales and your Sherline tongue weight measurements. Tongue weight equals truck's two axles total with trailer minus truck by itself.

Probably you've been ok because of the friction bar. Have you ever tried seeing how stable the trailer is if you fill the fwt and leave the fiction bar off? Might want to try it (very carefully) and see.

Is there some other stuff you can move toward the front of the trailer to help balance it when the fwt is full?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 11:32am
Thanks OG

Yes, after the initial weigh in we unhooked the 177 off the hitch and weighed the rear axle.  Came out to 360# less, exactly what I got for hitch weight at home with the Sherline.

Going back 10 years we picked up our 177 and brought it home across the U.P. of Michigan in a bad snowstorm, lots of snow on the roadbed and our top speed never got above 50.  Was towing with a 2008 Explorer w/o the friction bar.  A couple months later we were finally able to go on a weekend trip, full fw tank and trailer loaded.  All was good till we hit 35 mph, tail wagging the dog.  Tried it a couple more times with the same result; i was clueless at the time.  We went home, rather bummed.  Talked to some friends about it and were told to get a friction bar.  Purchased it and the problem was rectified. 

Having a longer wheelbase on the F-150 vs. the Explorer will help here but when weather improves I will give it a go "carefully" to see if the problem repeats itself w/o the aid of the friction bar.  Right now, it is snowing like a banchi, c'mon spring!

Certainly there is the option of moving things out of the bed of the truck and into the front of the 177 to get the weight where it ought to be.  Since we normally boondock we also carry a couple of 5 gal. containers of water to supplant our FW tank, an additional 80 lbs. toward the front end should certainly help in the endeavor.
God's pod
'11 model 177
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 3:58pm
I must have had a senior moment there. I now remember you reported before having sway with your fwt full. Unless your load out us a lot different now I don't think there's any need to repeat that experiment. Can't be good for the trailer even if your TV stays well planted. Maybe instead try for about 10% on the tongue and see if that stabilizes things?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>