R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReplacing Rusted anode rod?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing Rusted anode rod?
    Posted: 21 May 2021 at 7:15am
Good morning. In an attempt to replace the anode rod as is recommended on a new to me 2016 rp179, it has rusted pretty significantly into the threads. I doubt it’s ever been touched. After wd-40 soaking, it won’t budge using my socket wrench. Is this water heater sturdy enough to handle the impact wrench? Or are there other suggestions? Thanks!
Donald Curtis, CTVMotors Garage, just down from the Mars Hotel
2016 RP 179; 2015 3.7 V6 F150; 2015 HD Road Glide
Four wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul...
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 9:19am
Spray it with PB Blaster (forget wd40) and wait a couple of days, then try again. Use a breaker bar and apply steady pressure on it while gently tapping the socket with a hammer. Might take a couple of tries. Should come off.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 9:20am
Put a 2’ cheater/pull bar on the end of your socket wrench. This usually will do the trick.you can use a piece of pipe if you don’t have a pull bar.when you replace the anode, use a couple of wraps of teflon tape to eliminate leaks and also stop rusty threads
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 2:36pm
Mine seems pretty sturdy, but I wouldn't use an impact wrench.  Try another penetrant oil (made for that) and a long wrench with gentle steady pressure.  Vibration from tapping on the hex head while spraying penetrant sometimes helps.  

I found anodes at Ace Hardware and Walmart for a good price. 

John
'16 R-Pod 180
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 9:59pm
According to the "Project Farm" Liquid Wrench seems to be one of the best penetrating oil.
Here's the comparison of different penetrating oils:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUEob2oAKVs

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Ctvmotors View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 7:55am
Thanks for the advice. I went w cheater on the breaker bar, with liquid wrench, not wd40, and it broke loose. Replaced the rod using Teflon tape, all back together now. The one that came out was gone just to the size of a welding rod! Definitely time for a new one! Again, thanks…  love this forum!
Donald Curtis, CTVMotors Garage, just down from the Mars Hotel
2016 RP 179; 2015 3.7 V6 F150; 2015 HD Road Glide
Four wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul...
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 8:52am
If there is any magnesium left on the rod at all its still doing its job. Check it annually. Usually you'll see some rod at the base of the anode before the magnesium toward the tip is consumed. If it looks like that it's still working.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 9:18am
Originally posted by lostagain

According to the "Project Farm" Liquid Wrench seems to be one of the best penetrating oil.
Here's the comparison of different penetrating oils:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUEob2oAKVs

I don't buy this evaluation at all. First he torqued the nuts to 100 ftlbs. Then he corroded them with some type if oxidizing agent, after which the torque to remove them only went up a few 10s of ftlbs. Then some of the penetrants brought removal torque down below the original tightening torque.
Obviously, the threads didn't get very much corrosion on them. We all know that removal torque on very rusted bolts is much much much higher than the tightening torque was.

He also didn't leave the penetrants on long enough, my experience is that it significantly helps to allow them to remain on there for a day or two.

I've used liquid wrench a lot in the past but PB blaster has if beat by far in my experience in the real world. WD40 is pretty much useless

One result does agree with my experience. The flame wrench works great. And verbal threats are good too.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 10:20am
Why don't you do your own experiment with various penetrating oils and tell us which is best.  Maybe you could make a video and post it to YouTube.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 2:32pm
The video was kind of interesting, but even he admitted it wasn't very scientific.  I came away with the impression that for practical purposes it doesn't matter all that much which product you use.

Ever since I got a 60v impact wrench, I don't care too much about this kind of stuff anymore.  Now, maybe on something relatively flimsy, like a water heater, I don['t know.  I'm not sure, but it seems like careful use of an impact wrench shouldn't be more likely to cause damage than using a cheater bar.  It is certainly much easier!  Of course it's not a tool everyone has.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>