R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedImproving fridge performance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Improving fridge performance
    Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 8:52am
The196 fridge is not like the 179 or smaller model rpods. The fridge in these units are very good even in high heat conditions. I'm in a 195/196 group, and nobody has trouble with a warm fridge. There is one adjustment you can make. inside the fridge, at the top right corner, there is a slide adjuster. Up is colder, down is warmer. I run mine all the way down, and it barely stays above freezing. I would really recommend getting the wireless themometers to see whats going on, and keeping the door closed. Like I said earlier, I see a 15 degree warmer temp change when someone doesn't quickly get what they need, and close the door. I don't keep drinks in the fridge to minimize opening. BTW, I also have a small battery operated circulator fan in the fridge, and I don't keep lots of food in it. I tend to shop every 2 days or so, not sure if that helps mine run better

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Bounder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 1:29pm
Thanks, everyone - some good thoughts.

One of the things about the DM2672 is that it doesn't have any adjustment for temperature - the design geniuses at Dometic figure they know better than consumers what temperature the unit should be set to, so they do it permanently.

The 196 is going in for service on Friday, so I'll have the dealer check the usual culprits. I've determined that there is no muffin fan on this unit unless it is hidden at the very top of the coils, so I've ordered an auxiliary fan assembly that I'll install. In the Mojave at this time of year, 100 degrees is a cool day - the fridge needs all the help it can get. I'll also take a second look at the thermistor location.

Safe travels...
Bounder
2021 196 Hood River
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:03pm

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 9:17pm
And if you can't park facing north or east, try to provide some shade for the side of the trailer where the refrigerator is.

Also, you can get small fans that clip onto the fins inside. They help circulate the air inside and help keep the fins from frosting up so quickly.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 8:06pm
+1  The additional fans will help though.  My 177 came with 2 muffin fans on the back (March 2011) and I had similar issues until I moved the bi-metal switch with a couple inches of the exhaust stack.  Until that happened those 2 fans never came on.  With the bi-metal switch closer to the heat the muffin fans come on sooner and run longer resulting in a much colder fridge temp.  A month ago we had ambient temp of 98 yet the interior fridge temp was 34 and that was at a setting of 4 out of 5 bars.  It also helps big time if you can park your rig so the fridge and its grills face north.  Facing east would be a second choice (if you are in the sun).  Avoid south and west exposures if you are in an open or sunny location when temps get hot.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 4:13pm
My 195 fridge (same as yours) runs around 32 - 34 at all times, even if it's 100 plus outside. The only thing i've had a problem with is if you keep opening the door, or if you open, and stand there trying to figure out what you want. Then it will run up near 45 - 48 all day, and get back to 34 overnight. I have thermometers with a wireless reciever outside that I use to monitor. You should consider getting them, so you can know if it ever gets cold, or do you just need to learn how to use it

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Bounder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 3:56pm
Has anyone found that the DM2672 fridge (used in the 196 and some other models) simply can't keep things cold enough?

My unit - whether on gas or 110v electric - stays cold enough in the freezer area to keep ice, but the fridge area lets milk go sour in just a day or two at most. At first I thought this was due to higher ambient temperatures, but even on a recent weekend in San Diego I had this problem - and the low was 65 with a high of 75!

I am unsure whether this is a warranty/service issue or whether it's a case of the unit needing some help.

The complicating factor is that the DM2672 can be sold with a fan or without - and there's no difference in the model number! I don't see a fan, but the upper part of the back of the unit is covered and inaccessible without removing the unit.

So, do I add a fan? If so, do I add the Dometic accessory unit, or an aftermarket one such as this:

Thanks for the suggestions, in advance!
Bounder
2021 196 Hood River
 Post Reply Post Reply