Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgenerators?what r u using?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: generators?what r u using?
    Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 5:16pm
Jim, you may be able to use your current Honda 2000i generator if you install a hard start capacitor in your A/C unit.  You can find some background information and general instructions on how to do this (here).  The article also has a link to a supplier on Amazon who sells a capacitor for $13.50.

If I was you, I'd keep the Honda generator and install a capacitor.  The Honda is a nice unit.  If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, talk to some local RV dealers (any dealer that you trust should do - they don't have to carry Forest River products).  I bet you'll find one who can do it for $100 or so.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
jim park View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Hawkeyes

We bought the 3000i but have not used it yet.  Like you, we wanted air conditioning. 
if i did not have a/c here where i live i could only use my rpod for maybe 3 months in a year.its already 100 degree heat here.
jim park View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by jim park

Originally posted by Hawkeyes

We bought the 3000i but have not used it yet.  Like you, we wanted air conditioning. 
if i did not have a/c here where i live i could only use my rpod for maybe 3 months in a year.its already 100 degree heat here.
outbound
wow i had no idea that is possible.i will look at the link now.i dont want to get rid of the honda unless i have to.  thanks
jim park View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Outbound

Jim, you may be able to use your current Honda 2000i generator if you install a hard start capacitor in your A/C unit.  You can find some background information and general instructions on how to do this (here).  The article also has a link to a supplier on Amazon who sells a capacitor for $13.50.

If I was you, I'd keep the Honda generator and install a capacitor.  The Honda is a nice unit.  If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, talk to some local RV dealers (any dealer that you trust should do - they don't have to carry Forest River products).  I bet you'll find one who can do it for $100 or so.
outbound
thanks alot,i just ordered one,should be here in a few days.they had two reviews,one said it worked great for him and the other said id didnt work.13.50 is a pretty cheap roll of the dice.i hope someone on here has used one on their 2000i
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 7:28pm
13.50 is a pretty cheap roll of the dice.

My thought exactly.  It looks like a pretty easy install, too.  Just be careful with the old capacitor when you take apart the A/C - it'll hold a charge for quite a while after the power is disconnected and an accidental discharge would be very dangerous.

Make sure to take pictures and report back on your success Smile
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 9:32pm
Best way to take care of that problem is to short out the terminals on the capacitor with a screwdriver.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jim park View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Best way to take care of that problem is to short out the terminals on the capacitor with a screwdriver.
im gonna get someone to install it for me as i have two left fingers.i hope this works,i really dont want to buy another generator
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 7:46am
Welcome to the forum.  Obviously you have found that this is the place for all things R-Pod.  We are just up the road in Harlingen.  I am sure you'll enjoy your pod.  And yes your right down here A/C is a must have.  Where are you planning on camping.  We have enjoyed, Adolph Thomae County park in Arroyo City, Isla Blanca and Andy Bowie on S. Padre for nearby weekend get-a-ways.  Hope to see you out and about.
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
jim park View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 11:43am
I live down at boca chica beach so i probably wont be camping on padre.next week im going to falcon lake for my shakedown.eventualy i want to see big bend.
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 3:15pm
There are several (4) of us who will be at IB Magee County Park in Port Aransas (Nueces County Park) on the 15th & 16th of the month.  I don't know if they have any spaces left or not. But as with all things Podding your welcome to come.

Happy Podding
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>