R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

counter top laminate peeling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: counter top laminate peeling
    Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 10:26am
Hi everyone!

I've been quieter on here because I'm traveling in the pod and only have intermittent internet. I'm headed west finally!

Anyway, I try hard to keep up with cosmetic wear and tear on my 2016. I'm having a problem with my counter top and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this. The marble look covering is peeling up from the hard surface in a couple of places on the edges (on the corners where it gets bumped). I am not up to replace it altogether but I'm wondering if there's a more basic fix to keep it form getting worse. My dad would have run a 1" piece of duct tape all around the edge and that would have solved the problem at least for a while. I don't want to do that...exactly. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Julie
Julie
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 11:05am
Yes.  Look for some good glue at Lowes/Home Depot.  Construction grade Elmers wood glue, or better.  Get a piece of 3/8" plywood about 1' x 1' and some popsicle sticks and some clamps. 

Use the popsicle sticks to lift the laminate just enough to put glue under it and to spread the glue.  Clamp initially and clean up all the glue that squeezed out.  Use the plywood and clamps to hold it all together for 24 hours, or more. 

You might ask the clerk if he has a better glue for your purpose. 

You might also need to put saran wrap down to keep the plywood from sticking permanently. 

John
'16 R-Pod 180
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 11:23am
Julie
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 11:25am
thanks! I can see how that could work. The laminate is worse than lifted, though. It's peeling and cracking on one corner. I'll give this a try but I may be back.  I appreciate the suggestion.
Julie
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 12:58pm
Don't use Elmer's. Use something like Titebond III or Titebond Ultimate. This glue is stronger than wood, and the ultimate version is even water proof.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 2:56pm
For laminate, contact cement is the proper glue to use. For repair of damaged spots though, that is much more difficult. When I worked at place that did a lot of laminates, contact cement was what was used. Brush it on, let it dry, then bond using the suggestions by Colt to use spacers to keep the parts apart until the contact cement dries to the right stage for bonding. The can will tell you how to use it. With contact cement, clamping is generally not needed once it is bonded. Just pressure with a good roller to make sure the laminate has made the best contact possible and all air bubbles are moved out.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 10:19am
Thanks for the help

--Julie
Julie
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 2:30pm
If it was mine i replace the counter top with 3/4" plywood and flat work laminate with solid oak edging.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 2:59pm
I love it. But I don't have those skills. You volunteering?  :)
Julie
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by StephenH

For laminate, contact cement is the proper glue to use. For repair of damaged spots though, that is much more difficult. When I worked at place that did a lot of laminates, contact cement was what was used. Brush it on, let it dry, then bond using the suggestions by Colt to use spacers to keep the parts apart until the contact cement dries to the right stage for bonding. The can will tell you how to use it. With contact cement, clamping is generally not needed once it is bonded. Just pressure with a good roller to make sure the laminate has made the best contact possible and all air bubbles are moved out.

If it's just the laminate that's lifted off the substrate I agree. However, if the particle board underneath is frangible, then the primary thing is to get the particle board back together. I guess it's a judgement call.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>