R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt on 2" receiver - Event Date: 18 Feb 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Bolt on 2" receiver
    Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 1:06pm
  My wife and I returned home a few weeks ago from camping about five weeks in the Ocala National Forest located in central Florida. We camped at three Federal campgrounds that had no electric they did have very nice clean well kept bath houses that had hot water and a room for washing dishes. We kept our generator in the Truck and let down the tail gate when we used it we do have a fiberglass cap so we could lock everything up when not using the generator. We also used a 140 watt solar panel everything worked out fine and had a great time. I did see several solar panels in use and several generators. One camper had a platform welded above his propane tanks for his duel fuel generator that looked like a good idea if your camper and tow vehicle can handle the extra tongue weight.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 5:37pm
If you don't need to run an a/c or the microwave then by all means dispense with the generator. If you do want to use either appliance you can do that with a sub 50 lb 2kw generator. You would need an Easy Start device installed in your a/c. Works well by reducing the startup load on the compressor motor so the 2kw inverter can run it.

If you're thinking about running either the a/c or the microwave from an inverter, don't consider it. You don't have enough energy storage in your battery for that. Well possibly for the microwave but only for a few minutes at most, and you'd need about a 2kw inverter.

If you just want to run a few small electronic devices then you can use a small portable inverter or run the devices directly on 12V. For example, you can get a dual voltage TV that will automatically select 120Vac if it's available and 12Vdc if it's not. Not expensive and more efficient than the inverter option.

You can tap off a 12V supply to provide the power for either the devices or the inverter. Where you tap depends on the trailer model and where you want the 12V receptacle to be. In my 179 I tapped the supply to the stereo and ran it through the closet wall to the receptacle. The receptacle had a couple USB ports on it too.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Dahuntsr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dahuntsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 9:02pm
The inverter is to power my CPAP when sleeping and my laptop when awake and not traveling. I've been using 150 watt inverter in my car for at least 10 years to power them. I would pull into truck stops to cat nap on road trips to save on loging expenses.

Although I haven't taken the trailer on the road as I've been working on getting things setup to haul a 120 lbs (empty) along with gas cans and spare propane tank so I could continue to use truck stops until I got to the area I wanted to explore.

I've done searchs on Amazon for hoists/cranes that can be installed on my 2021 Highlander Hybrid Limited and found one that use a 2" receiver for a mount with a 300 lbs capacity to lift the generator into the cargo area of the Highlander. Of course to use the one below, I would have to unhitch and remove the weight distribution/anti sway head to use the hoist.

I also looked at ramps as a way to load the generator into the Highlander. The ramp option may require use of a block and tackle or similar pull to pull the generator up the ramp as the generator with fuel & oil will be around 160 to 170 lbs.

Thanks being a dedicated farmer providing food for us all.

(Viking Solutions VS-VSL001 Game Processing Multi, One Size
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VXURFSG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_44P32WK7S62738F34E75)
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 3:44am
150 watt inverter sounds like a good way to go. You just need a 12V power port somewhere to connect it to. You can get them on Amazon inexpensively. If you get one with a usb port then your phone or other device can be charged that way, more efficient than going through the inverter. You can also get them with a voltmeter which does a much better job than the crummy battery level lights.

This is an easy DIY job, you just need to find a place to tap 12V, like the power to the stereo. If you tap the main battery line be sure to add an inline fuse at that point.
15 amps for 14 gauge, 20A for 12 gauge. 14 gauge will be fine for a 150 watt inverter.

A hitch crane sounds like way too much work not to mention the additional weight. Seriously, if you do later decide you need a generator get a Honda 2.2 or equivalent and an Easy start. Easy to lift and carry around without breaking your back. That's what I used. Propane operation is also much better than gasoline if you're keeping the generator and/or the fuel in the SUV. No fumes or fuel leaks.

As for farming, you are giving me too much credit. I'm retired and we just have a small hobby farm. Other than friends and family we're not in the ag production business. Keeps us active though and we get lots of exercise. But it does ground you at home, other than a rare occasional overnight trip we can't travel, farm animals need attention every day.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Dahuntsr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dahuntsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 4:53am
Memories, memories, I haven't forgotten going out to the corals as a kid on my parents 10 acare ranch in Arizona putting feed in the animal feeders and breaking ice up in the water tubs on winter mornings. That was nearly 60 years ago.

I've decided to sell my current generator and getting one under 50 lbs. I've been looking at the Champion 2500 watt duel fuel. Long Long Honeymoon reviewed and tested it by powering the A/C and microwave in their Air Stream trailer with the generator powered by gas and propane. What got from their YouTube video is that it could power both, one at a time, but took several pulls of the starter cord when connected to propane before it started.

It's rated at 1800 watts normal and 2500 watts peak. I've run my R-Pod's A/C on a 15 amp connection and I don't have the easy start installed on my A/C. Had to turn the A/C off to us the microwave. Doing the math, 1800 watts at 120 volts is 15 amps. I would eventually get one of those devices installed on my A/C if I could find a place to do it without having to wait 6 or more weeks before they could do the work. I'm not about to get on the roof myself to do the install.
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 5:15am
  We have a Champion generator that weighs about a hundred pounds to heavy for me to lift. The generator has wheels and I use ramps to load generator up into the truck then leave ramps at home. When operating generator I roll it onto the tailgate and point the exhaust out back of truck not to fill the fiberglass cap with exhaust fumes. If I were to buy another generator I would chose a lighter weight generator one that I could lift. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 5:37am
We have a Champion 3100W duel fuel generator that we use with an Easy Start.  We use propane and it works fine.  It weighs just under 100 pounds and I've had no trouble lifting in and out of the back of our truck.  But if you have back issues, it'd probably be too heavy, unless you had a partner to help.  It's quiet enough that it could be run while sitting on in the bed of the truck with the camper shell/cap/topper open and the tailgate open.  If I had it to do over again, which I don't, I'd have bought a smaller duel fuel unit.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 8:11am

I bought a GENMAX 3200-Watt Inverter Generator.  It is a made in China gen set but a large number of the gen sets are made in China.  It's running output is 2800 watts and so far has been able to run my AC with no easy start and it weighs 47.3 lbs which is why I bought it.  I rarely use a gen set so I figured it was worth taking a chance on and so far no issues.  I can't whole heartedly recommend it because I haven't used it enough.

Dahuntsr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dahuntsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 8:22am
I was also looking at the Genmax 3200, but I like the idea of carrying spare propane tanks than 5 gallon gas cans.

A 3rd model I was looking at is the Hudson Motors 3300 watt generator.

Weight is an important issue with me as I can't lift much. I was going to put that 160 lbs (with fuel) on the rack and never take it off. So I've been focusing on the under 50 lbs generators.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 10:01am
Just remember that the lighter weight ones may not have the ability to start the AC reliably. You will definitely need to install a Micro-Air EasyStart on the AC in order to have a chance to get it to work. Also, on the web page, there is a bonding plug. You can build one very easily by purchasing a plug from your local big-box hardware store and connecting the ground and neutral (ground is usually green and is for the U shaped terminal and neutral which is usually a silver colored screw), leaving the brass color screw unconnected.  This is because most generators have a floating neutral. Circuit analyzers consider this a fault. Bonding the ground and neutral will satisfy the circuit analyzer.

This is one area where you don't want to cheap-out on the generator. You could consider getting a pair of smaller, lighter weight generators and running them in parallel. Then you would not have to lift so much at once, but still have the power available when you need it.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>