R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

AT Tires R Pod 171

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ampete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AT Tires R Pod 171
    Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 1:21pm
Any recommendations for tire brand/model for 2014 R Pod 171, Hood River Edition?

LT 235 75 R15 All Terrain currently on the camper, we like to boondock sometimes, using forest service or BLM dirt roads to access sites; no gnarly roads though--thanks!

gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 5:29pm
I just went through the whole, tire replacement drama this spring. Finally settled on Falken Wildpeak AT3 LT tires. They are 10ply and with 65psi, they have greater load capacity than the Westlakes at 50psi, that were stock on our 2017 179 HR Edition. So far so good with about 6K miles on them. I've checked running temps at various times this summer and they have never been above 122 F. 

Good luck.

Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Kawasaki KLR650
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 8:37pm
An excellent choice, upgrading your tires. If I may add a few things that you can do to take care of your tires to get the most life out of them.

Balance them, just like your vehicle tires. Consider a TPMS system to live monitor your tire pressures and temperatures. We use a WASP TPMS system that I have enough sensors that screw onto the valves on our 2 192 tires as well as our F150's 4 tires.

Every am when travelling I go around,tap all 6 sensors and get my cold tire pressures.

You would need to set the temps and pressure alarms according to your particular needs, but once done it is easy.

Rhey can also help indicate if you have a hot brake or hot bearings as the heat can transfer to the tires and be indicated while you are driving.

Good luck,

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
ampete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ampete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 10:05am
Gpokluda,

Thanks for the specifics.  I'll take a look at those

ampete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ampete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 10:06am
Campman,

Am I correct to think the cold PSI is what I should go by to add air or not, once in the morning before driving?

Do you max out your tire PSI when pulling the camper loaded with water, etc?

Thanks

ampete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ampete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 10:08am
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 11:53am
I agree with gpokluda and how they increased the pressure with the heavier load tires, but not excessively.

Your original tires needed to be at max pressure to support the trailer all up weight. With the new 10 ply tires I run at about 70 psi, not the 85 (I think) psi it is rated for.

Pressure should only be checked and adjusted when the tires are cold, I prefer early in the am when sun isn't shining on them...it makes a difference.

If you get a TPMS, you probably will be amazed at how warm they get when you are travelling on a hot day. This is normal, from the rolling resistance, braking hard etc. The pressure in them rises as well and that is normal. Just do your adjustments when they are cold except in an emergency...and then correct once they cool down.

I don't max out the tire pressures (as stated on the side of every tire) as I am not running at the new tires max weight,and no need to have too much air, as that can give a jarring/harsh ride to the trailer.

Hope this helps, ask away if needed!

Andy

Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 3:35pm
If you're running ST tires it is better to run them at rated pressure as intended. That's because they have thick, stiff sidewalls to reduce rolling resistance. Running them at lower pressure creates more sidewall flex which can overheat the tires.

If you find that your ST tires are too stiff at rated pressure than you probably have overrated tires for the application. Tire engineers generally recommend selecting tires rated for around 20-25% higher than 1/2 the axle rating (or actual axle load if that's significantly less). Much below that and you risk tire failure. Much above and you'll be shaking the trailer and contents too much.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 4:35pm
I don't get it.  It seems like more trailer manufactures are using LT (light truck) tires on trailers that are of an all terrain design instead of ST (trailer tires) on their new trailers.  They sure look gnarly, but it appears more like a marketing strategy than something to truly enhance performance.  Ideally, a trailer tire should offer low rolling resistance with a relatively non-aggressive tread, and stiff sidewall construction to help stabilize the tendency of a trailer to fishtail or sway.  LT tires have flexible sidewalls, though somewhat stiffer than a passenger (P) tire to enhance cornering and directional control and the aggressive tread pattern helps the drive wheels with traction in soft dirt, snow, or mud.  Since a trailer tire only follows the TV, that sort of traction doesn't seem offer a benefit.  

Would someone please explain the advantage of using LT all-terrain tires on a trailer as opposed to an ST specifically made for trailers?
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Would someone please explain the advantage of using LT all-terrain tires on a trailer as opposed to an ST specifically made for trailers?

One could be the ability to run less-than-max inflation but still carry design weight.  LT sidewalls can handle more flex.  

Could ease the pounding on the trailer a bit.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>