R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tow vehicle ideas needed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow vehicle ideas needed!
    Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 9:36pm
Thx for the reply - I will check out the Ranger. A friend's son had a TD Colorado and had nothing but trouble with it. I love diesels, even with the high price of fuel, so will look closer. 
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 9:34pm
You might wish to check out a Ford Ranger 2019 or newer. The 2.3L Ecoboost engine will surprise you. A Chevy Colorado Diesel would be a great choice also. Both will have the loads of torque you need. The Diesel should give you better highway mileage also. We have a 2010 Nissan Frontier. Being naturally aspirated, it does struggle a little out west on those climbs, but it doesn't have the 10 speed transmission that the Ranger has and it isn't turbocharged either. Still, a newer one would likely be okay as would a Toyota Tacoma.

These would likely work well for your "vertically challenged" wife better than a full-sized pickup.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 8:58pm
Well, our trusty (but not so effective) 2003 Lexus GX470's engine blew up last week and its $7K to repair it, which I am reluctant to invest in a 20 yr old vehicle with 200k miles. Its been ok, but because of older technology, particularly a 4-spd transmission, its not all that great out here in the west, especially on long hill climbs. 

We're towing a 179, nothing unusual in our load - no generator, no kids, just a lightweight dog and the usual stuff. So we've started the process of looking for a new (to us, anyway) TV. We don't need to drive it much outside of camping trips, but we'd like to find something that is very reliable, will tow well (ie, no lugging up hills), and is ok to drive in town for me and my vertically challenged (5 ft 1 inch) wife.

The conventional wisdom seems to lean towards a Ford F150 with an ecoboost engine, but I don't see many options beyond that. Would appreciate any suggestions from the Rpod Forum collective braintrust. My wife wishes that an EV truck was available but my sense is that its premature to go down that rabbit hole (and I don't want to spend $60K)

So my current thinking is a 150 ecoboost, maybe a 2015 or so with moderate miles (60-80K), but would appreciate any suggestions or ideas. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123