R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Batteries question 12 vs 6v

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Batteries question 12 vs 6v
    Posted: Yesterday at 9:05pm
 I have an Rpod 178. Recently both 6v golf cart batteries died while in a remote location. The best battery I could find within 100 miles was a 12v deep cell battery for boats and RV's. I changed the cables around and made it work to get home but am now considering refitting the battery system. I now have two 12V deep cell batteries that will fit nicely into my battery boxes when wired in parallel. One is three days old, one about a year, both in good condition. These are batteries supposedly designed for use with boats or RVs. My local RV guy tells me I should use two 6v golf cart batteries because they will give me "a deeper charge" whatever that means. I am mostly using shore power when camping, which is why I didn't realize my old batteries were toast.  

I'm wondering, a.) whether what my RV guy says is true and b.) whether it is worth buying two new 6v batteries and letting two good 12v  batteries sit on the bench and c.) what are the advantages/disadvantages of 6v vs 12v?

Can you tell I'm new to this stuff?
Riobug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riobug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 8:18am
Do not know about the battery charge, etc., but a major reason for using 6v in a boat is that, for comparable energy, one can actually lift the batteries without a crane and fit them in cramped spaces.
If your 12 volts fit and have a tough case then probably good enough for the next 3-5 years.
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 8:35am
You will get all kinds of opinions on this. There are some old-schoolers that think two 6 volt batteries are the beez kneez. I had two 12v batteries as you have now and never had an issue. This debate rages on the Escape forum as well. 
What I do know is that the age difference between your two batteries could prove to be a problem. Batteries in a battery bank should be close in age.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Kawasaki KLR650
 Post Reply Post Reply