R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Using camper off-grid in winter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TimeOutside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using camper off-grid in winter
    Posted: Today at 3:08am
Noob here, and in a bit of a panic.   I just purchased my first camper, a 2012 R-Pod 177 this last Friday (10/25/2024).  I didn't even think of these questions until sitting in the camper that night and watching some YouTube videos on R-Pods.

The big question is, how do I protect my camper from the effects of freezing temperatures when my intention is to be using it in the freezing temperatures? To make matters worse, I'll primarily be using it off-grid three or four days at a time, and most of my trips will be impromptu.  I'm hoping I didn't just buy something that I can't use as intended.

Although we live in southern Missouri, we do get hard freezes.  Sometimes even in October.  I have watched a couple of videos on winterizing my R-Pod.  Even just putting antifreeze in the tanks and lines seems impractical, since I may pull it out of storage just a few days later to go use it.  I could use it without any of the water features, but that's not what I bought it for.  I want to use the toilet, and have hot water for showers and doing dishes while I'm camping.

So, what do I do to keep my lines and tanks from freezing both while camping in freezing weather and when in storage?  (And hopefully it doesn't cost a lot. I spent most of what I have to spend on buying the camper.)

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Note:  I haven't rented a storage location yet.  But anything affordable won't have AC.  I can add some extra battery capacity and I've even got a solar panel that I could add to the roof if the solution requires power.
Some ideas are so preposterous that only an intellectual can believe them. - Malcolm Muggeridge
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 12:07pm
Rpods are not 4-season campers. 

if you intend to use it during below-freezing temperatures, you will need to avoid using any of the internal water plumbing. If you keep all the parts clear of water, then they can't freeze.

It is impractical to convert an Rpod for 4-season use. I suppose it can be done, but the cost would not be very appetizing.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply