Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RP-151 Owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RP-151 Owner
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 11:57am
Congrats on your new camper. Glad to see someone else has a 151. We were thinking maybe we had the only one. We love ours and use our R-Dome most of the time.  Happy Camping. UPWILD
UPWILD
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 2:39pm
Do any of you RP-151 owners have the spec-sheet that shows the joists, studs, wiring, etc in the our walls/floor?  I want to start putting up some shelving, but don't want to drill where I shouldn't be drilling.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
mikeoregon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 3:24pm
Hi, Ray-- Good question, I hope you can find an answer. We are just starting to think about adding shelves, and there are definitely places where attaching them to the exterior would really help.

Mike
Mike and Vana O'Brien
R-Pod RP 151 2010
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 9:52pm
The electric element will heat fairly fast - not as fast as the propane burner, but fast enough to take a shower 20-30 minutes after the last person.  I would bet that your bypass valves aren't set correctly - others have described similar symptoms and later confirmed the main bypass valve was open and/or the other valves were incorrectly set.  You can find them right behind your water heater.  For use during the camping season the valves on the cold and hot water lines should be open, with the handles parallel to the water lines.  The bypass valve should be closed, with the handle perpendicular to the water line.  That is the one that runs between the cold and hot water lines.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mikeoregon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 1:30am
Hi, Doug-- Thanks for the info, it took us awhile to realize the electric was working, it just was slow to heat up the water. And I got the cover off the interior side to check the valves, as the previous owner had winterized the unit, so they were in the correct position (thanks to a photo that was posted earlier in the forum--thank goodness for the internet and kind owners!). But how to you get the propane side to work? I didn't see any propane switch. Thanks, Mike
Mike and Vana O'Brien
R-Pod RP 151 2010
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 7:30am
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

Do any of you RP-151 owners have the spec-sheet that shows the joists, studs, wiring, etc in the our walls/floor?  I want to start putting up some shelving, but don't want to drill where I shouldn't be drilling.

This is the best answer I've been able to find so far.  It's not exactly what I wanted, but it is better than no information at all.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 10:50am

mikeoregon:  On your RP-151, the propane-water heater switch should be located just below the sink.  If you have 'shore-power' or the battery installed, the switch should illuminate and soon you will hear the electronic ignition ignite the burner.

If you haven't run propane into the new 151, you should purge the propane line(s) by turning on one of the stove burners to make sure that the propane from the bottle has moved into the Pod. I use a butane lighter to check that the propane has flowed into the stove.  If the Pod is brand new, it may take a short while for the propane to flow into the water heater valve.
I usually shut off the WH electric switch at night...I am a light sleeper.  The burner coming on usually wakes me up.  The tank usually has enough residual heat to provide me with warm water in the morning.  I then turn on the switch to get hot water for a shower or wash dishes.
TIDALWAVE
UPWILD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 11:19am
Hey Tidalwave, Is your electric water heater switch inside the cabin or is it back by the water heater? I would like to move mine inside. I am also a light sleeper and switch it off at night. Even though its a little inconvient it is still nice taking a shower in the  middle of nowhere.
UPWILD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 11:52am
The electric switch is on the water heater on the outside of the pod, in the lower-left corner after you open the cover.  Some here have moved it inside - you just have to unhook the 120 volt wiring that goes to the outside switch and re-run it inside to a standard 120 volt switch.  If you've ever mounted a single-gang box and switch in a house, that's what you need.

A note about the light that comes on when you turn on the propane burner (the switch inside the pod), it will glow when there is a problem getting the burner lit, or when you first turn it on and the burner hasn't lit for the first time.  The light should go out in about 30-60 seconds - and stay OFF.  A bit counter-intuitive, IMO.

Something I meant to mention yesterday - you can use the electric and propane modes together for faster recovery, when you have full hookups.  We need 4 showers so this helps in the morning.  The thermostat for the electric element is set slightly warmer than the propane thermostat, so the electric will maintain the temperature for the rest of the day so you aren't using any propane even if you leave the propane switch on.  When you go to wash dishes or take a shower then the propane will kick on to assist.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 9:44am
I'm also looking for a M-151 if anybody is interested in selling....richarddharrison@juno.com    Capt. Harrison, USMC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>