R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbest small portable grill.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: best small portable grill.
    Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 8:48pm
Ok, I have been to every sight on the I net, Camping World etc. At Home I have a Big Green Egg smoker, the best dad gum closed smoker grill I have used in my 62 years of living on this beautiful Earth. I have looked at gas/charcoal/ etc, Donna and I are looking for a light, compact, stainless steel, packs light, easy to clean, easy set up, good heat, no hot spots. I am kind of leaning to charcoal. I am thinking match light charcoal so I dont have to pack starter fluid, ( am not fond of flamable liquids in the storage area) cooking for two most of the time, but may need the capacity for 4 or maybe 6 on a strech. No gourmet cooking , well maybe if I shoot a phesant, or a turkey, or catch some fresh fish, mostly burgers, chicken, pork chops, chicken kabobs. Who out there has the wisdom to guide this old fool ? I kind of like the fuego, something, and the ones at camping world, but $279.00 plus shipping. HELP
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 8:05am
Check out Weber.  Although I've never owned their charcoal grills, I can tell you their Q-series propane grills are nice.  One of the few grills left that have a nice/heavy cast iron grate on them.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 12:15pm
Many people do not like the flavor imparted by propane grilling.  However, after many camping trips where the charcoal has gotten damp or was nearly impossible to start right out of the bag, we switched to propane.  We started out with a medium sized BBQ, but found out that with just the two of us, the units were oversized. We ended up buying a Coleman "Fold-N-Go" grill (Camping World #43823), it has piezo-start, and uses a disposal propane bottle.  Great for one or two people. The burner is only 6000BTU and comes with optional stove ring and griddle.  It weighs only 12 lbs and fits neatly in one of the storage bays, more room for all the other stuff we carry. 
TIDALWAVE
pentachris View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 5:51pm
I've got a Weber Q 220 that I grill on at home, and it's great. It's portable, but on the bigger side of portable.

A lot of the campsites we go to have fire pits with grill grates that flip over one side. I do most of my camp grilling on those, over the campfire.

After doing some research, I've got the Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill and the Weber 1520 Propane Gas Go-Anywhere Grill on my Amazon wish list. They've got great reviews and are more portable than my Q. I can't decide which one I want more - if both are on there, maybe someone will buy me both. (hahaha...)
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 10:35pm
tidalwave, after much knashing of teeth, I took your advice and ordered the fold and go from coleman. I like their products as a rule. I know charcoal makes for better flavor, but I like the clean propane, plus no starter fluid, charcoal comes out of the bag all over the storage area, wait 1/2 hour for coals to get hot, then they are to hot. you can use wood chips for smoke for flavor. Camping world had it for $25.00 less than Bass Pro. When it comes to camping, cooking outside is a must, the smells outside, the flavor the fresh air imparts to food is enlightining. I am already thinking about burgers on the new grill, fresh caught lake fish, Good Grief I think I have put on 2 lbs just thinking about it.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
SoCalPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 3:06am
IMHO the best portable grill... period. I've taken mine everywhere and we use it when camping in the Pod over the stove/gas/bbq.

this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 9:44am
While I mentioned the Weber Q-Series, which is what I use at my seasonal campsite, this is the one that travels in the R-Pod with us.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 10:53am
Interesting, SoCalPod
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 8:06pm
We camped for years with a Weber Smokey Joe. Small, light, used very little charcoal. It still is in the garage after over 30 years of use. We have used it to roast a Thanksgiving turkey in the Superstitions above Lake Roosevelt, trout along unnamed creeks and even as a fire pit here in the backyard in NJ! Great little grill!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 9:36pm
I love my Weber Q100.  Good size, cooks great, nice griddle.  Problem....doesnt fit under the rpod storage area unless the cover isnt on it.  My first trip out I used the cheap Rhino that came with my 182g.  It worked....but I missed the Weber Q.

I may have to figure out a way to pack it.  I have a roller storage bag for it....nice and easy.

X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>