FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator
    Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Camper Bob

Does the Champion have the inverter electronics to safely run tv's, computers, etc?  That may be why they are so much cheaper.  Additionally, can't easily lift 100 lbs now.  That would be a major stumbling block for me.  Bought the Honda, no regrets.  Light, quiet, and will run sensitive electronics.  Safe Travels.

I will give you quiet and light but the part about sensitive electronics not so much. Inverter Generators are less noisy which means they will run audio and video equipment with less aritfacts but computers don't care. Computer power supplys will work with anything from 100 volts to 240 volts AC and filter it to within an inch of their lives. There is nothing more robust than a computer power supply. There is very little  danger of damaging sensitive electronics only in introducing hiss to audio and snow to video. Having said that I ran my TV and Radio in the Pod and it was dead clean. 

Have fun with the Honda It really was my first choice just not in the budget and any of the budget inverter generators really are junk as far as I can tell. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 3:23pm
Seanl, sounds like that Champion is a good all around deal, Donna and I dont usually dry camp, but I have a 5500/6875 surge Generac, but I dont think thats to practical to take with us. Be careful shrouding your gen set, the alternator and engine are air cooled, maybe you could come up with something that is circular and the top is open, that way it would dampen sound going out at ear level but keep the air flow moving, just a thought, safe travels all.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by dsmiths

Seanl, sounds like that Champion is a good all around deal, Donna and I dont usually dry camp, but I have a 5500/6875 surge Generac, but I dont think thats to practical to take with us. Be careful shrouding your gen set, the alternator and engine are air cooled, maybe you could come up with something that is circular and the top is open, that way it would dampen sound going out at ear level but keep the air flow moving, just a thought, safe travels all.

Thanks for the info. One of the reasons my wife and I did not want to spend lot of money on a generator was we only need it about one week a year when we go to the Nascar races and the rest of the time we camp at parks with hookups. The Generator Tent is designed with with ventilation. The top opens up and so do both ends if you need it for exhaust and air intake. also the bottom walls of the tent are 4 inches off the ground so that it will draw cooler air in from the bottom and out through the top like a chimney. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Seanl

LOL Isn't it funny how some topics bring out a lot of opinions.  

YES! LOL

Just mention anything electrical, hitches or towing and you'll get lot's of participation!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 5:46pm
I should probably add, as a reminder, that everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is what you get here......a lot of different opinions.  It's up to the readers to sift through all of this and then come to their own conclusion/decision.   Every post is an opinion.  Every post is valuable! 

For example - One guy might think Ford trucks are best.  I think Chevys are best.  He's happy with his Ford.  I am happy with my Chevy.  When all is said and done, that's all that really matters - that each is satisfied within themselves.  The right choice in most matters is the choice that is right for YOU in YOUR situation.  Smile
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 6:33pm
For the record, I'm a Chevy guy.  Safe Travels
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 8:41pm
Ford? Chevy? Honda? Champion? Hey, I don't agree with any of ya. I tow with a Toyota Tundra, have a Yamaha generator, and I'm super satisfied with both. But let's face it. We're all just a little different or we wouldn't be towing our Pods. Except for maybe folks like David who've kinda come to their senses and jumped ship. No offense, David, as you have a great looking towing combo, but kinda mainsteam for some of us weird Podophiles, heh, heh! 
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 8:42am
Well, I like the Pods enough to have shelled out 5 figures for an RP173, back in July of 2009.  Also, I can get quite a number of folks who would line up to testify that "yes, he truely is weird".

But alas, the lure of a dry bath and awning seduced me into a "regular" TT.  Interestingly, my camper is within 2-3 inches lenght-wise of the Pods.  Width - the actual body is a few inches wider, at 7' (84") but, the "track" - width between the wheels is more narrow.   
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 11:16am
Well, David, I gotta admit that you've got me there. As the PTA showers (think body parts) in our Pods are kinda weak, so you probably smell much better than I after camping.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 1:55pm
Ask three rPodders about gensets and you'll get four opinions. 

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>