R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLippert axle nightmare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lippert axle nightmare
    Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Thinker

Just a wild suggestion FWIW. Are you sure there is not one speck of grease on the brake shoes. This will cause the brakes to grab.

Brakes are clean and dry, but thanks for the thought.

Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 12:26pm
I was able to talke to FR today as far as any answeres non. I asked about a new dexter axle to replace the lippert and they said they could not sell me one if it didn't come with one. Intresting. Still working on the brakes and might be making progress.
                          Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 1:24pm
Axles can be bought from many places.. You need a couple measurements, no biggie. I replaced the axles on our 'stream. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 9:28pm
True, my father and I changed to a completely different axle on our utility trailer, just needed to match up to the existing mounting holes.  The old one went on in '87, the new one 2-3 years ago, now with brakes.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dshearer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 2:13pm
We're dealing with a Lippert axle problem, too. I called Lippert on Monday and was given this email - warranty@lci1.com. This morning I sent them pictures of the problem, pictures of the axle information, when we purchased the RPOD, etc. It's a shot in the dark, but we too are looking at just under $1000. and waiting 3-4 weeks for delivery -- there goes the summer in Montana!
Good Luck.
Montana camper
Plantguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 12:32pm
Vogel RV, Ukiah, Cal. BEWARE!

Owner, Al, name caller and angry person.
My RPod was in his shop twice to repair a bent axle. The first time, last August, 2015, was to look at the problem, contact the axle manufacturer and replace the axle. I was told they would call with the estimate and set up the repair. They never called. After I brought the RPod to the Dallas RPod manufacturing site  Forest River told me , once again , to work with Vogel RV. I dropped off the Pod on July 14, 2016. I spoke with Al. He told me he would order a new axle. I waited for word that either they had an axle coming or one was ordered. After 3 weeks I had heard nothing from Vogel so I emailed and asked for a update. I was told to call Al. He said the axle would be in the first of the following week. I called again the next Tuesday. Al mentioned the wrong axle had been delivered and another was on the way. After almost a month I contacted Vogel and told them that I would be picking up my RPod. Al became very angry, called me a jerk and hung up the phone. My wife decided to call as it appeared Al was having trouble with me. She called and asked nicely what needed to be done. Al told her that she needed to "control" me and hung up on her. She called again and, once again, got scolded by Al and he hung up on her without any discussion of the axle. He told her he would cancel the order and would never work with us again and to pickup the trailer as soon as possible. I have yet to figure out what I had done to get this man so angry, to call me a name and hang up in the middle of a conversation with my wife, twice. When I picked up my trailer he again called me a jerk. We decided to look at Yelp for any reference to Al and Vogel RV. Turns out we are not the only customers to get treated so unprofessionally from Al. I had some minor warranty work that needed attention. It did not get done. I never received an estimate, was never updated on the progress of the repair and was never informed that the installed axle was not strong enough for the weight of the trailer. In short, because we did not buy the trailer from Vogel, I think we received very bad, very unprofessional service from Al and Vogel RV. We have looked up axle problems on these trailers and found many complaints from owners. This axle is spec' d at 3550 pounds. I weighed the trailer, almost empty of all our gear,  at a truck scale, 3450 pounds. I have driven a trailer similar in size and weight as my RPod 179 for over 20 years without any axle problem. This RPod axle bent after one month. This is a Lippard axle. Lippard would not warranty the axle. Forest River would not help with this problem. Forest Rivers local repair shop, Vogel, could not find an axle and treated us with no respect. Also, as an aside to all this, when we purchased the RPod in Brookings , Oregon, I was told it was a 2015 model. Turns out it was a 2014 model. All in all, I am beginning to have little confidence in Forest River and their affiliates.
Life is too important to be taken seriously!i
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 2:06pm
   Sorry you and your wife have had such a difficult time with getting your bent axle replaced. Having a good dealer to work with sure would be nice for you both. Hopefully things will work out in time for the better. We had no problem with camping world replacing our bent axle but ours was still under the manufacture warranty we had the trailer less than a year. I think the problem is that too many camping trailers are being built with a axle that is not strong enough to allow for added cargo weight.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

matell View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 3:13pm
when i first bought my Pod and was driving home with it the trailer brake on the passenger side was locking up,never destroyed the tire. problem was fixed
Vancouver Island loving its beauty
With Misha the lab
Plantguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 6:06pm
Thanks for your kind words. I reported my axle to FR and the axle manufacturer 2 months after I bought the Pod. It was still under warranty. The axle manufacturer claimed it was my fault and not a warranty covered issue. I got no help from FR. I am very disappointed in FR. 
Plantguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 6:07pm
Thanks for your kind words. I reported my axle to FR and the axle manufacturer 2 months after I bought the Pod. It was still under warranty. The axle manufacturer claimed it was my fault and not a warranty covered issue. I got no help from FR. I am very disappointed in FR. Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>