Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPassport America

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passport America
    Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 11:11am
I have mentioned a few times that Passport America offers 50% off camping fees at several 1000 campgrounds across America.  I Joined shortly after they opened in 1992 and use them most of the time.  Most offer free cable and WiFi, but a few are places I would never use.  We always check the CG ratings in Woodall's before staying in one.  I am only a satisfied customer and have no financial interest in the organization, but thought you might want to take a look at what they offer.  On oour trip to the SouthWest last month, we paid as little as $11.00/night with full hook-ups.

https://passportamerica.com/

Bob

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 10:28pm
Donna and I have it and use it at Hoosier National Forest as it is 40 minutes from home. $13.50 a night for electrical sites. can't beat it. Its one of the few things that are good about getting older.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 11:02pm
I believe we are talking about 2 entirely different bargains.  There is the Golden Age Passport (they changed the name since I got one 9 years ago) that has a one-time purchase price of $10.00.  With it, I and everyone in my vehicle get into Federal Parks, Monuments, etc., free of charge and when you enter a Federal facility that has campgrounds, you get 50% off of the camping fee.  These are available to those that are 65 or older.  I surf fish regularly in a Federal wildlife preserve without paying the normal $5.00 fee.  Being handicapped, I park in a handicapped space adjacent to the walkway across the dunes next to the ocean.  As you indicated, there are some advantages for an old coot like me.

PassPort America is not associated with the Federal Government.  You pay an annual fee, receive 50% off privately-owned campground fees, but I save that much in 2 nights of camping.  Some of the CGs are in the Coast to Coast chain, many are Good Sam parks.  Most are nice, but a few not so nice.  I have noticed that the KOA CGs do not honor Passport American, but KOAs are normally over-priced anyhow. 

I won't bore you members any further about Passport America.  If you want more details, visit their web site and you can even check to see what campgrounds are in your area or wherever your trip may take you.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 10:54am
We looked at Passport America because of the park that we stay at in AZ. For us it would not be worth the price even though we stay at the park for a month, there are no other parks that accept Passport America without going way out of route for the time that we have for vacation going from home to AZ. If you are able to get out several times a year you can make it pay for it's self, that's not us just yet. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 4:52pm
i think that Passport America is a great idea.

The idea focuses on last-minute arrivals.  The private campgrounds get to rent out sites that would otherwise be vacant for the night and the campers get a 50% discount on fees.  There are lots of opportunities to try out new places and hopefully find a few new favourite places to stop.

Most campgrounds have rules (which are generally clearly defined) about when they'll give a PassportAmerica discount (for example, some will not discount on long weekends or during the high season) and may limit the length of stay at a discounted rate.  Some parks will not accept reservations for PassportAmerica discounts, choosing to stick to the last-minute-vacancy foundation of the program; but many parks will.  Its all clearly documented on the PassportAmerica site.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 5:11pm
 Very well put!  Campgounds often do not honor PPA rates during holiday weekends and certain seasonal weeks or months.  On our trip through the Southwest and back last month, I believe we used our PPA membership for about 20 days at different campgrounds.  This time of year, they all were about half vacant.  We probably saved $400 or more just on that one trip. The PPA rates ranged from $11/night to $25/night at the "resort" campgrounds. 

Bob
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 10:55pm
Thanks for the info!
[/URL]
 Post Reply Post Reply