Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFord Explorer Sport Trac

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford Explorer Sport Trac
    Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 11:12am

We've made the decision to get a new (newer used) TV this fall and am looking at the 4-door types of pickup with a smaller bed and larger towing capacity in anticipation of some much longer & harder camping trips coming up next year.  Besides the typical 4-door versions of the regular pickups, one in particular that we see falling into our criteria is the Ford Explorer Sport Trac, which is a short-bed version of the Explorer.

Anyone have any experience or insight on this model?  Thanks.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 12:10pm
It is a midsized SUT or sport utility truck. I short listed this one as a possible replacement for my Jeep. 
Pros: It is a body on frame design with rear wheel drive.
Cons: The V6 4.0 Liter SOHC engine only makes 210 hp My Jeep makes 210hp and it is just adequate.
2007-2010 they made it a little bigger and offered a 4.6 SOHC 24 valve engine that made 292hp. That would be my choice if I could find one. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 12:24pm
I looked at those as a replacement for our Caravan, decided on the Jeep because the Sport Trac only came with a V-6 and also considered the loss of space with the covered bed where the Jeep is fully enclosed behind the back seats.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 9:06pm
My Sport Trac has the 4.6 V-8, pulls my Packer-pod great.  That said, Ford discontinued them, so you'd have to buy used.  I love mine...big enough to handle the few truck things I do each year....yet small enough.  Tow gas mileage sucks....10-11 mpg.
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 8:59am

Thanks for the feedback guys.  We are definitely going to buy used rather than new ... new anything are just far too expensive these days.  Good to know on the engine sizes ... if we go this way we'll make sure that we get the larger one.  Having a small truck bed is one of the main things we want in a new TV ... miss being able to use one from the days I had a pickup, and an SUV gets very messy to clean when having to load up the back with stuff.  Not worried about the gas mileage as that is what my Veracruz gets now when towing, and we are going to make a change so that the new rig will be our "secondary" vehicle used mainly for towing and p/u type errands rather than being our primary one like the Veracruz is now.

P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
 Post Reply Post Reply