Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roadside Assistance
    Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 3:05pm
I like our Good Sam!
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 7:04pm
I have CAA +RV (The Canadian version of AAA) and have really been happy with the service.

The key factors for me were:
- it covers any vehicle I'm driving including motorcycles even if I don't own it
- always uses flatbed truck for motorcycles
- tows to the shop (or any destination, including home) that I choose within 200km. I can actually pay the extra if I need it towed a bit further than that
- will call out 2 tow trucks if needed

The most unusual circumstance I've used CAA for was one very rainy weekend after I backed the trailer downhill onto a very steep, slippery, grassy site. I couldn't get the trailer out again - my TV was just kicking up mud. A quick call to CAA and they came and winched me out.

Over the years, I've used CAA to unlock the vehicle door when I've locked the keys inside, bring home the motorcycle after sucking dirt into the carb (never let your tank run dry even if you have 'reserve'), boosting a friend's motorcycle after he left the lights on while we had lunch, bringing gas out to the side of the highway (the gas gauge on my jeep didn't work), boosting the dead battery in a friend's truck that I'd borrowed to run errands.

Plus, I do tend to use the discounts available for theme park/entertainment passes, hotels and airfares. And, I get a discount on trailer insurance through CAA.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 8:48pm
We have the Good Sam Club roadside assistance program-and have used it with great results.  Our tow vehicle broke down in central Tennessee.  we were literally on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere..  We called the roadside assistance number and had several conversations with the operator.  They were helpful, courteous and efficient.  within an hour we had a rollback tow truck on site.  we unhooked the tv from the pod and he winched it onto the tow truck.  We then hooked the rpod to the tow truck and off we went.  He took us about 25 miles  to the nearest campground(that Good Sam recommended , called ahead and made sure they had room and complete facilities). we unloaded and set up the pod, then he  took the tv and us  to a repair shop that Good Sam also located and made arrangements for.  We made arrangements for the repairs and the tow truck driver took us back to the campground.

It was great service and didn't cost us anything beyond our normal membership fees. We did tip the driver.

As long as we own the Pod, we will have Good Sam roadside Assistance plan

Vann
geelse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 12:06am
Thanks Pod People Approvefor the input. Looks like people are happy with their service, whichever company.
See America First
2013 R-POD 177 HRE
2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab
George and Linda
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 8:19am

Here's another thought you may want to consider ... your RV insurance policy.  Mine includes towing of both Pod and TV to the nearest authorized repair shop.

P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
geelse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 1:21pm
Unhappy  OK, now I'm really confused. Just got off the phone with AAA. I asked about the roadside assistance package (Basic/Plus/Premium). Premium will get my tv towed up to 200 miles, but not my pod. The pod is still limited to coverage under Plus services. So, the Plus level gets both towed within stated limits 4 times per year. The Premium will get my tv a 200 mile tow. OK, got it, right?
See America First
2013 R-POD 177 HRE
George and Linda
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 2:21pm
Here is the AAA policy, straight from their website:

Towing Service

When your vehicle cannot be safely driven after attempting any of the listed emergency services herein, you will be given three (3) towing options:

Option 1: You may be towed to a AAA Carolinas owned and operated AAA Car Care facility, within 10 miles, or to the AAA contractor’s station that responded to your call at no charge. When a AAA Contracted Road Service Provider tows a member back to their location and the car is towed away from the Road Service Provider’s facility, over mileage for the original tow and storage fees may apply. If service is not performed at the AAA Car Care facility and vehicle is towed to another location, over-mileage costs will be incurred.

Option 2: You may be towed to a destination you select within the first three (3) miles of the disablement (at no charge). Plus and Plus/RV members receive up to 100 miles free towing. Premier and Premier RV members receive one 200 mile tow a year with each additional tow covered up to 100 miles.

Option 3: You may be towed to a destination you select that is beyond the mileage coverage for your service level at the rate of $4.00 per mile. (Basic up to 3 miles, Plus & Plus RV up to 100 miles, and Premier & Premier RV up to 200 miles once, and 100 miles for all other calls).

In instances where your vehicle is disabled while towing a trailer, service may be provided for the trailer at your expense and will be payable to the service facility at the time of service.

Plus/RV and Premier/RV service extends coverage to include travel trailers with sleeping accommodations used for the purpose of camping. You may not use more than one service call per breakdown. Vehicles that have been modified by the owner risk possible damage when towed or serviced. AAA Carolinas reserves the right to refuse the tow or service on the grounds of safety and liability. If service is provided, the owner assumes responsibility for any damages not caused by the operator’s negligence. Premier’s 200 mile tow is not extended to vehicles requiring RV coverage. Charges for flatbed service requested by members, when not required by the AAA Towing manual, will be passed on to the member. The responding tow truck will have room for up to two passengers. AAA can assist in locating taxi service at the member’s expense to transport additional passengers. The final decision to provide service to a vehicle safely is left to the discretion of the AAA Contracted Road Service Provider.

In an effort to provide a safe, quality environment for our members and providers, large trucks and some multi-passenger vehicles, including but not limited to; F-350s, F-450s, dual-wheel trucks, Hummers and vehicles extending past the rollback bed, must have Plus RV or Premier RV coverage or they will not be covered by AAA Carolinas. In combination with the total weight and type of the tow vehicle, these restrictions are required as different equipment is needed to provide service. This restriction is based on; the weight of the vehicle being towed, weight distribution of the vehicle being towed and weight loads on the axle of the tow vehicle, and safety based on Department of Transportation guidelines. Note: The final decision to provide service to a vehicle safely is left to the discretion of the contract station tow driver

P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
geelse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 2:49pm
Thanks P & M, that is extremely helpful in clarifying the issue. Much appreciated!Thumbs Up
See America First
2013 R-POD 177 HRE
George and Linda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12