R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPropane duration - Event Date: 15 Nov 2013 - 30 Nov 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Propane duration
    Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Those temps will reduce your effective battery capacity by 10-15%.  By the time you get to -22 F you loose 50%, temporarily.  This may mean a daily charge is necessary.  If you do use your TV to top-off, hook it up using jumper cables and as someone said, run the engine for 30 minutes.  During the summer I only recommend doing this every other day.

techntrek,

Why would you "only recommend doing this every other day" and only run engine for 30 minutes? I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it seems that a TV with a "strong" alternator and a good pair of jumper cables would be a very efficient method of charging. I read somewhere an estimate of 1 gph auto idling.

Thanks!

fred

EDIT: While Googleing I came across this thread: http://rvitch.com/forum/index.php?topic=73520.0
Great discussion, techntrek! Even if I did only understand parts of it!

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Lefty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 5:49pm
Thanks for all the help. The only thing I'm planning to use is the furnance. No lights, no water, no potty and no stove stop. Just the furnace and only during the night for 8 hours and turned down to 50 degrees. Basically I'm using the winterized pod as a glorified tent. So, I'm hoping the full tank of propane will last three nights.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 6:34pm
You will have no problems with the Propane (assuming a full 20 LB Unit) Once the unit warms up ot holds the heat well.  Crack the roof vent and a window so you do not have rain inside
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 6:42pm

I had forgotten about that thread.  That was probably the best one on the subject of charging via the TV.  I'm sure you noticed the two supposed "experts" on that thread completely contradicted themselves several times... Wacko 

Lefty, the problem is the furnace is the single largest user of amps from the battery and propane from the LPG tank.  Yes, the propane should last you three nights.  That might be true at 30-40 degrees, but you may go through most of your propane if it is 10 F outside.  Then your battery is likely not going to last you 3 nights at those temps...

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 10:44am
Our experiences with cold camping go back 2 years when we were at Glacier N.P.  Temps at night got to 34-38 every night.  Was nervous about freezing our water lines.  However, that being said, our propane lasted 6 nights and our battery was changed out after the 3rd night because it was down to a 25% charge at that time and an expert (my older brother) told me to never draw your marine battery down below that level.  We had l.e.d. lights on throughout every evening, they hardly draw any amp.s at all.  We hiked during the day so the furnace only ran during the evening hours, normally from 7p.m. to 8 a.m.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 10:08pm
Just back this evening from 4+ days in the Smokies.  First night was down to 21.  Nothing new to add about propane or batteries -- the advice so far is very good. 

Regarding winterizing or freezing water lines, I filled up the fresh water tank when we pulled into the campground (no hookups) and I took the kick-board cover off in front of the water pump and turned the water heater on.  I got up several times during the night to check the temp and make sure the water wasn't getting hard.  It made it through absolutely fine.  Inside temp was maybe 60.  The prediction, which turned put to be true, was for warmer nights ahead.  I might not have taken a chance that first night if it was predicted to stay cold or get colder.

Oh yeah.  One thing about propane is that in TN and NC places that will swap out 20 pound tanks are almost ubiquitous. The price is around $15 right now.  If you do run out, you trade in your old tank for new one and just keep going.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mtbmitch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 9:41am
As long as it warms up in the daytime, just insulating the fresh water pick up line from the fresh water
tank should be enough. I am assuming the day time temps will be close to 50.  Your battery will be the deciding factor in running the heater. Running it 1 hour total from just before bed, running once in middle of night and then again when waking up will run down the a group 24 battery a third.
Led's should come standard in all RV/ trailers.
enjoy the fresh air
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 2:48pm
An interesting fact about propane tanks:  IF you can fill up at a hardware store or other where they fill you by weight you will get a much better deal, paying for your propane by the gallon.  IF you decide to exchange your tank at a gas station or similar you will pay a much higher price, even if they only charge 20 -25 dollars to exchange your tank you are not getting a full tank.  After getting an exchange (in this case Blue Rhino) I got the tank weighed at the hardware store where I normally purchase propane by the gallon.  Come to find out the tank is only 75% filled.  Went back to the gas station and let them know, they just smiled and said, "Yep, we know, that is the way it is."  
God's pod
'11 model 177
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 4:22pm
That's generally true about exchange tanks being more expensive -- probably always true.  They say there's some sort of safety issue in filling the tanks all the way.  I never tried to understand that and tend to think there is a certain amount of bull in that story. In any case, I've never paid more than about $20 for a 20# exchange tank and, for me anyway, the convenience is often worth a few bucks.  Especially when you're on the road or in an unfamiliar area, finding someone to fill a tank can be a trick and involve more time and gasoline than the savings of a weighed and filled tank.  Plus, a lot of places that fill 20# tanks charge a flat rate anyway.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 6:45pm
Being the cheapskate that I am, I usually try to save $$ whenever possible.  I travel with 2 tanks on my 177 so if one does go empty the back-up second tank will be more than enough to see me through the duration of the trip.  I can't go on long trips like some of you (yep, still working full-time) not old enough, wise enough to retire . . . yet, . . . . .  . . .  so the longest my wife and I go are 2 week stints at a time.  I am amazed how long 1 tank lasts.  With all the cooking, heating (furnace) and hot water usage a tank will see us through the better part of a whole year.
God's pod
'11 model 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>