R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedExpedition worthy R-Pod?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kymooses View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expedition worthy R-Pod?
    Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Thinkcooper

Originally posted by furpod

If you are a memebr of the FB group, a member over there just had her complete kitchen counter redone, all stainless, different flush mount burners, the works..

Tried finding the post about a stainless R-Pod kitchen on the Facebook group... Came up empty handed. The group seems to limit posts from before when I was added. IPad issue perhaps? I'll have to try via my laptop 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/56931970807/permalink/10151994752600808/?stream_ref=2

that's the link
Thinkcooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 10:53am
Originally posted by furpod

If you are a memebr of the FB group, a member over there just had her complete kitchen counter redone, all stainless, different flush mount burners, the works..

Tried finding the post about a stainless R-Pod kitchen on the Facebook group... Came up empty handed. The group seems to limit posts from before when I was added. IPad issue perhaps? I'll have to try via my laptop 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 10:09am
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 2:04am
Originally posted by bodie55

Love to know your source when you find a stainless sink/countertop.  We would really like to upgrade - guessing a bar sink would work for now.

Like your desert set up!  So what was behind the cardboard wall?  My guess  was some type of WC/bathing area...

Will do. As we find replacements in stainless, I'll post links.

Sharp eyes on the cardboard under our shade structure. I designed a disposable/burn able temporary house structure for Burningman. It was based on 4x8 sheets of cardboard, glued to 1x1 wood frames (not unlike our R-Pods). The panels could be built off site, trucked to the event, then screwed together to make an 8'x8'x8' living space that was dust resistant, reasonably insulated, and then burned at the conclusion of the event. The village I camped with (illumination village) had whole rows of these, and they were awesome art walls as well. The slightly scaled down one under our shade was where my daughter stayed for the week. She had privacy but was under our wings, kinda. At the time I was mayor of our village, one of the oldest at BM, so we were quasi-VIPs in the BM caste. The box truck and our shade were the village HQ for the week.
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 1:06am
Love to know your source when you find a stainless sink/countertop.  We would really like to upgrade - guessing a bar sink would work for now.

Like your desert set up!  So what was behind the cardboard wall?  My guess  was some type of WC/bathing area...
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
...sempre in viaggio sul mare...
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 10:44am
Originally posted by techntrek

Definitely need pics once the interior mods are done, sounds like it will look really nice.

The cushions are about two weeks out. We've ordered stiffer foam than the stock cushions, an inch thicker too. We'll have the upholstery for recovering the valences and trim next week.

I'll throw a wide angle on the camera to grab some in-process interior shots.

A couple of other changes as well - we pulled the DVD/CD/screen. It's a head banger over the bed. I want to pull that whole media box. Later I guess. We also received the short Queen mattress from Camping World. It's much better than the stock mattress.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 8:07am
Definitely need pics once the interior mods are done, sounds like it will look really nice.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 7:16pm
This is gonna be a long term project indeed. Especially since we're new to trailering, and have some basics to get right first. Thanks to techntrek for moving this thread to an area that makes more sense!

As for basics, I got the airbags installed and took these shots of the 4runner with the 177 in tow. We also towed the rig up to a local upholstery shop to get custom cushions made. We're using a charcoal gray Sunbrella fabric that will work with lots of color options.

My wife is going to make some custom curtains for the pod as well. She's going to use curtain tracks top and bottom, with snaps for the curtains. The upper track will hide behind the valances (which will be recovered along with all other trim to match the cushions) and the lower track will be hidden by the curtains' length.

So far we've changed out all the inner filament bulbs to LED, we've hung a bunch of IKEA stainless kitchen rods with hooks. We don't have a microwave/convection oven so we've put some stainless sliding drawers in the open hole. We've also replaced all draw pulls and the shower door with stainless too. Next up will be finding a new kitchen faucet is stainless. Not critical but desired would be the stainless version of the cooktop and a stainless sink as well.

Sunbrella fabric swatches

The truck is looking way better with the airbags. E2 hitch is supped to arrive today.

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 3:09am
Been digging in to researching the Lippert torsion axle on our 177. Interesting design. I need to crawl under tomorrow to see if there's any slotted brackets for adjusting preload height. It looks like a pretty simple rubber compression spring, but hard to tell if adding a leaf spring would help or hinder. I imagine adding more steel to HRE spacer could lift the chassis, as would bigger tires. The mind reels. :) 

My wife is telling me to focus on the basics first. She's right. So I converted all the 5w5 bulbs to warm LEDs. Installed the new CW mattress with a memory foam topper as well.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 4:21pm
Tank pod.  Looks good!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>