R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere Spare?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where Spare?
    Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 9:18pm
Charlie, yes. Your solution for the spare really makes sense. Just to carry that thought forward, I would consider:

http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Trailer-MFG-Receiver-Tubing/dp/B0050NGCBI

and have it welded to the tongue frame.

Of course, I will open whole nuther can 'o worms when I start thinking about a place to store the Yamaha or Honda generator on my wish list - cargo tray on tongue and spare back up on TV roof...which makes your bolt-on solution more attractive. :)

fred

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 9:27pm
Yes, that would work too, but I don't do welding in public and I like the reversibility of bolts. Also, the receiver stock is not coated or painted so you'll have to consider paint or some other finishing. The bolt on approach uses all powder coated hardware. Cain't hep wid the genny! Don't got one. LOL
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 9:39pm
Uh, Oh. Look what I just stumbled across:

Seems a bit expensive for a tongue mounted cargo tray, but it is a solution...

fred
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 9:47pm
OK, Fred. Get your check book out. It might just work for the genny, but it looks like a pain for the gas bottles. And check clearances if you have a WDH. Seems like you're having way too much fun solving problems. Boy do I know how that is!
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 10:28pm
Yesserie! By jove, I think I've got it!

Picture duel T-105s across the back, Yamaha EF2400i and propane tank(s) in front!

Oh, and there's this - I know we can make this cheaper:

Ok, I'm worn out. Thanks for helping me spend money! Thumbs Up

fred

R & R-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 10:54pm
I have decided to get a wheel adapter so I can use my Jeep spare tire on the R pod. That way I can leave the Pod spare at home and save some weight as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-WHEEL-SPACERS-ADAPTERS-5x4-5-5x5-1-25-ADAPTS-JEEP-JK-WHEELS-TJ-YJ-/310768097817?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item485b38da19

Tom&Judy
2014 178 R&R-Pod
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
ToddPOD48 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 3:11pm
I had the same question about where to put the spare if I put a bike rack on the rear hitch receiver. I considered adding another receiver but instead the guys at the RV shop suggested putting the spare under the frame just ahead of the step. They fabricated a swing down system that has a lock and easy release so the spare slides off when you need it. There is no loss of clearance because the corner jacks stick down almost as far. It was about $400.00 and solved my problem. Maybe it will work for you. The roof seems too in accessible to me.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 7:47pm
we moved the spare to the tongue  in order to mount our bike rack on the rear. .  We used the original R Pod spare tire bracket by cutting off the end that goes into the receiver. We welded the spare bracket to the passenger side of the a frame so that the tire is about 2" from the pod itself. we had to also move the single gas tank mounting bracket forward in order to have room for the spare. It's a tight fit, but it works great.

an added advantage is the additional tongue weight-about 35 pounds if I remember correctly.

At the same time, I had the welder reinforce the rear receiver area with 2 metal gussets and add a 2" receiver for our bike rack. At the end of the new receiver, he also added a 1 1/2" angle from side frame to side frame that was welded to the receiver.

I paid a local welding shop $100 for the whole job. I spray painted everything black when completed.

We took our pod on a 11 week, 10,000 mile trip this past year with our 2  bikes.  I closely inspected the  bike  hitch  receiver, frame  and added materials-no evidence of stress cracks or fractures.

the only thing that I want to add for the future is some type of eye bolts on each corner of the pod so that I can add a strap to each side to stop some of the sway and bounce.

Vann Evans
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Pod People

we moved the spare to the tongue  in order to mount our bike rack on the rear. .  We used the original R Pod spare tire bracket by cutting off the end that goes into the receiver. We welded the spare bracket to the passenger side of the a frame so that the tire is about 2" from the pod itself. we had to also move the single gas tank mounting bracket forward in order to have room for the spare. It's a tight fit, but it works great.

an added advantage is the additional tongue weight-about 35 pounds if I remember correctly.

At the same time, I had the welder reinforce the rear receiver area with 2 metal gussets and add a 2" receiver for our bike rack. At the end of the new receiver, he also added a 1 1/2" angle from side frame to side frame that was welded to the receiver.

I paid a local welding shop $100 for the whole job. I spray painted everything black when completed.

We took our pod on a 11 week, 10,000 mile trip this past year with our 2  bikes.  I closely inspected the  bike  hitch  receiver, frame  and added materials-no evidence of stress cracks or fractures.

the only thing that I want to add for the future is some type of eye bolts on each corner of the pod so that I can add a strap to each side to stop some of the sway and bounce.

Vann Evans

Got some pics, would like to see you mod.
       Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 11:34am
we are currently out of town for a couple of weeks-I will get pictures of the spare and bike rack reinforcements when we return
Vann
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>