This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1st trip out. - Event Date: 18 Jul 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 1st trip out.
    Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 11:02am
Picked up a 2015 178 last week and wife and I took our first trip last night. Drove from North Georgia to Pigeon Forge in the rain. Due to traffic and a late start had to set up in the rain and dark. Pleased to learn that hookups are easy and can be done fairly quickly. The only problem was the water heater. Thanks to posts on this site I learned about the switch under the outside cover albeit after reviewing the Forest River owners manual which is no help.

Wife purchased a memory foam mattress overlay and the bed slept wonderfully. Got up this morning and got acquainted with the shower. Both of us found it to be quite acceptable. Just have to master the pivot in one place move. The water heater does well once learns how to turn it on.

All in all very pleased thus far. Hope to post pics soon.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 12:10pm
Welcome to the group!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
guppyfam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 3:49pm
Any other suggestions to us newbies?  Me and my family are picking up our 178 tomorrow and have our first trip planned for Monday.  Any helpful hints would be VERY appreciated.  Thanks!
Jeff & Kyra
2015 178
2011 Toyota Sienna
johnremmett View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 7:12pm
Get the things you will need and stay at a campground with full amenities like a sewer hookup. You will need a water supply hose, water pressure regulator, sewer drain hose, cable TV line, 4 scotch blocks, camco blocks to place under stabilizer jacks and to level side-to-side (or pieces of plywood or 1" boards). You will also need a small level of some sort. You will need a 2" ball as the RPod coupler is that size. I got a weight distribution hitch with sway bar which helps your ride and stability although I drove 400 miles home without it when I picked mine up. I would hate to drive in strong crosswinds without it.

For the inside a foam mattress pad will make the bed more comfortable. Also I would get a rug for the area inside the doorway and probably a larger rug for the walkway area.   Get Queen size sheets but the foam mattress topper for a full size bed will fit.

Finally if you hook up to electrical service there is a switch on the outside panel that you will have to turn on to get hot water. Turn it on only after you have hooked up water and bled air out of the system. When you get ready to leave drain the water heater( there's a place on the outside panel) and also all other tanks.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 7:14pm
Good luck. I hope you have as good a time as we did.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 9:38pm
Thanks Leo. Hope you enjoy your new 179.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 10:48pm
and get ready for the tours, and then the questions , can you stand up in it, it has a shower, and a t.v. you mean it has a hot water heater, and a microwave too. it has betters cabinets than our house. We love the people that want to see inside and then they say , it looks bigger inside that I thought. have fun. pods are a blast.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Marx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 6:18pm
Welcome from another newb!
Phanorque View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 2:10pm
5 month old 177 has seen close to 3000 miles so far.  we are long-time campers of one sort or another and are coming off an RV.  Pod gets mucho attention at gas stations: How's it tow? Ya got a kitchen? I have a question about the cover from FR. My Pod arrived with the downspouts sealed on and the cover, of course, has no provision to slide over them.  I want to cut a hole in the vertical side of the cover to let them stick through.  Wife said something like "no way".  Same with the antenna on the roof?  Who designed this cover???

I go where I'm toad.
rlb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 5:12pm
first outing this past w/e- 171. Battery died night one which lent to frig stopping and gas detect alarm waking us up mid sleep. Didn't stop us from having great trip.
rlb-rn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>