R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich WDH to buy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which WDH to buy
    Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 2:43am
We are finally replacing our 10 year old TV with a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder.  With the lighter weight and shorter wheelbase of the Pathfinder, I assume a WDH is a must.  I was looking at the EAZ -Lift 48058 hitch w/sway control.  Any input on this hitch or another would be appreciated.  We are pulling a 171 and I believe I weighed it a couple of seasons ago, and with empty water tank but all our "stuff" on board the scale weight was about 2800 lbs.  We are downsizing from a tow vehicle of towing 6,800 lbs. to a 5,000 lb. tow capacity.  Will be interesting to see the difference in performance.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 4:42am
   I would recommend the Equalizer 90-00-0400 this is the WDH we used in towing our r-pod model 171. We have changed campers but we stayed with a Equalizer WDH moving one size up to the 90-00-0600. Sometimes you can find them for sale used, we found the WDH we have now on the Forest River owners forum in the classified section. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 2:25pm
There are 3 types, WD only, WD with sway resistance, and WD with sway prevention.  The one you mentioned is the 1st type, it doesn't have integrated sway control.  See a link for RV Wholesalers where they bundle a sway bar with the EZ Lift.

The 2nd type would be ones like the Equalizer and E2, the 3rd type is the Reese Dual Cam.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 2:55pm
I have an E2 that I am happy with. I like to call the E2 a poor mans equalizer. It only has two points of sway resistance. The Equalizer has 4. I don't know of anyone towing an Rpod that is using a WDH with sway prevention like the Reese Dual Cam. The Cam WDH's resist sway by pushing in the oposite direction of the sway. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 4:43pm
I've used Eaz Lift hitches for about 25 years. They'll do a good job, but they are pretty old school, and are a little frustrating to set up and readjust until you become familiar with them. The model 48058 has 1000 lb. spring bars and will be more difficult to dial in and might place excess torque on a light trailer with a small frame (4"?) like the Pods. One with 600 lb. or even 800 lb. bars would be more appropriate for a pod, but these models are usually a little closer in price to some of the newer model WDH's. I also must say that I've seen quite a few EAZ Lifts that weren't set up well.

I'm keeping my EAZ Lift for now, but if I were to upgrade to something newer, I might go for an Andersen, as I think they don't creak and groan like some of the other newer design WDH's. Plus, they're considerably lighter than the EAZ Lift.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 9:39am
Thanks for all the input.  The choices are dizzying.  I have previously  installed an anti-sway device that works just fine.  With the shorter wheelbase and lower weight of the TV the EAZ Lift mod. 48052 seems to make sense for me.  Should be picking up the new TV by Monday.  Again, thanks.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 2:15pm
OK Camper Bob, if you're going with an EAZ Lift, here are some things to remember to make sure you have set it up correctly:

1. Make sure the spring bars are parallel to the Pod frame when hooked up.

2. Drop 2 or 3 links only when hooked up. If you have more or less links hanging loose, then you're shifting too much or too little weight, and with a smaller tow rig this is crucial.

3. Measure your tow rig's wheel well height without the trailer and then with the WDH hooked up. If there's more than an inch or so difference, then your set up is not good.

4. I always lube the spring bars where they insert into the shank. If you don't do that, then after a couple trips you will notice wear areas where you really should lube.

5. I carry some plastic grocery bags to cover the end of the spring bars when unhitched--saves mess and keeps grit off the bar ends.

This stuff has worked for me over the years with the EAZ Lift. Other hitches, I dunno much about.

P/S The hitch will often pop once to settle in when you begin towing. Yes, your wife will say "What was that?" If it continues to pop, then your spring bar chains are twisted or you really need to do some adjusting.
'12 Toyota Tundra
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 6:44pm
Thanks for the tips.  We pick up the new vehicle tomorrow and then have to re-install the brake controller and then will order the hitch.  I believe I had one of those about 25 years ago when we got our first trailer. I will attempt to install the hitch and see how that goes.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 7:00pm
Don't forget. You'll probably have to swap your balls (hope it's not too painfull ). I think the EAZ lift comes with a 2 5/16" not the Pod size 2".
'12 Toyota Tundra
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 9:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>